Which Of The Following Statements Are Correct?

• Thread starter Jack16
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ionisation constant of water at different temperatures and how this affects the pH of water. It is concluded that the pH of hot water is lower than cold water, making statement "a" incorrect. Statement "b" is correct, as water ionises more at 75 C than at 25 C. Statement "c" is incorrect as the charge balance must be satisfied. The last statement "d" is most likely correct as a process enhanced by temperature increase is typically endothermic.
Jack16
Hello People,

I wasn't quiet sure bout this question so i thought i'd ask it here aswell!

The question:

The ionisation constant of water has the values 1x10^-14 mol2dm-6 at 25 C
and 1.7x10^-14 mol2dm-6 at 75 C,which of the following statements are correct:

a)the pH of water at 25 C is equal to that at 75 C
b)water ionises more at 75 C than at 25 C
c)at 75 C water contains more H+ ions than OH- ions
d)the ionisation of water is an endothermic process?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi Jack,

Look:

[tex] K_w=[H^+][OH^-][/tex]

Let´s calculate the pH of pure water. The charge balance tells us that [H] must be equal to [OH] (theese systems are allways neutral), so:
[tex][H^+]=[OH^-][/tex]
[tex] K_w=[H^+][OH^-][/tex]

We solve:

[tex]K_w=[H^+]^2[/tex]

We see, If Kw increases, [H] increases, then pH decreases. pH of hot water is lower than pH of cold water. "a" is incorrect.

"b" is correct, water ionises more at 75 than at 25. "c" is incorrect, the charge balance must be satisfied.

Normally if a process is enhanced by temperature increase, that process is endotermic. I would say that "d" is correct (I can´t assure that).

Hello, I agree with altered-gravity. He's made a good explanation indeed. Water will always be neutral; since 14 becomes 13,6 and pH will be the middle point of 13,6, for example.

My physical chemistry is not very good, but his explanation is logical about the last one. Increasing temperature (and thus, more thermal energy) is used by the system to increase the physical constants. If it would be an exothermic system, the process would be slowed down as you increase the temperature.

Regards, chem_tr

Related to Which Of The Following Statements Are Correct?

What is the purpose of asking which of the following statements are correct?

The purpose of asking which of the following statements are correct is to determine the validity and accuracy of the given statements.

How do you determine which of the following statements are correct?

The accuracy of the given statements can be determined by conducting research, analyzing data, and consulting reliable sources.

What should I do if I am unsure about which of the following statements are correct?

If you are unsure about the accuracy of the given statements, it is best to seek guidance from experts in the field or consult multiple reliable sources.

Why is it important to identify which of the following statements are correct?

Identifying the correct statements is important because it ensures that the information being presented is factual and can be used to make informed decisions or draw accurate conclusions.

Are there any tips for determining which of the following statements are correct?

Some tips for determining the accuracy of statements include checking for reliable sources, considering the credibility of the source, and cross-checking information with other sources.

Back