Which one of these statements is wrong ?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
In summary, Yankel miscommunicated with ILikeSerena and was not able to correctly answer the question.
Yankel
Hello

I have a question in which I need to choose the wrong statement. I have 5 statements, and I managed to rule out 3 options so I am left with two.

the options are:

1. The dimension of the 3X3 anti-symmetric matrices subspace is 3.

2. An nXn matrix which has different numbers on it's main diagonal, is diagonalized.

3. A non invertible matrix has an eigenvalue of 0

4. Every matrix has a unique canonical form matrix

5. v1 and v2 are vectors from a vector space V. Then v1-2v2 also belongs to V.

I managed to rule out 1, 3 and 4 (they are correct in my opinion). I don't know which one is not, is it 2 or 5 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can rule out 5 too, but that doesn't help me understand why 2 is correct.

am I right to say:

let's assume that V is the space of all vectors of form (1,a,b), then:

v1 = (1,a,b) v2 = (1,c,d)

v1-2v2 = (-1,2-ac,b-2d) which doesn't belong to V ?

Hi Yankel!

If 2 vectors belong to a vector space, than any linear combination of those vectors also belongs to that vector space by definition.
Since $v_1-2v_2$ is a linear combination, (5) is correct.

As for (2), which values does a diagonal matrix have that are not on its main diagonal?

Yankel said:
2. An nXn matrix which has different numbers on it's main diagonal, is diagonalized.

This is false. Choose for example $A=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{-2}\\{1}&{-1}\end{bmatrix}\in \mathbb{R}^{2\times 2}$. Its eigenvalues are $\lambda=\pm i\not\in \mathbb{R}$, so $A$ is not diagonalizable on $\mathbb{R}$.

Yankel said:
I think I can rule out 5 too, but that doesn't help me understand why 2 is correct.

am I right to say:

let's assume that V is the space of all vectors of form (1,a,b), then:

v1 = (1,a,b) v2 = (1,c,d)

v1-2v2 = (-1,2-ac,b-2d) which doesn't belong to V ?

As ILikeSerena told you, this is true. Your mistake is that the set $\{(1,a,b):a,b\in\mathbb{R}\}$ is not a vector space.

thank you both !

Yes, silly example, my set wasn't a vector space since it's not close on addition

(1+1!=1)

:eek:

Related to Which one of these statements is wrong ?

1. What is the purpose of asking "Which one of these statements is wrong?"

The purpose of asking this question is to identify any incorrect or false statements and clarify any misunderstandings or misconceptions that may arise.

2. How do you determine which statement is wrong?

In order to determine which statement is wrong, one must carefully examine and analyze each statement and compare them to factual evidence or established theories. This may involve conducting experiments, gathering data, and consulting reliable sources.

3. Can more than one statement be wrong?

Yes, it is possible for more than one statement to be wrong. It is important to thoroughly evaluate each statement and consider all evidence before making a conclusion.

4. What if all statements seem to be correct?

In some cases, all statements may appear to be correct. However, it is important to critically assess the evidence and consider alternative explanations. It is also possible that there may be multiple perspectives or interpretations of the information presented.

5. How can this question help in the scientific process?

This question can help in the scientific process by promoting critical thinking and encouraging scientists to question and challenge their own beliefs and assumptions. It also allows for the identification and correction of any errors or inaccuracies in scientific knowledge.