Which one to choose?DSP/Commun/control/embed

• Thread starter manisha_341
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which specialization to choose for their MS degree in the US. They are interested in mathematics, particularly calculus and algebra, and have experience with MATLAB simulations. They have narrowed down their options to signal processing, communications, control systems, embedded systems, computer architecture and hardware, VLSI and analog systems, and microelectronics. They are leaning towards signal processing and control systems, but are unsure about embedded systems and the job prospects for each field.
manisha_341
which one to choose?DSP/Commun/control/embed

hi...i have found this forum very much resource ful.
i am in a dilemma of chosing my specialization for ms (in US).I am very much interested in mathematics and also very good at especially calculus and algebra.After MS i will be looking for job which is challenging, handsome salary(hate paper work,reporting kind of work).I am also good in MATLAB simulations did 3 projects in UG.I did some research came with following options.
1.signal processing------very much interested
2.communications--------partially work experience in this field
3.control systems-----------very much interested
4.embedded systems--------no idea what is this?
5.comp architecture and comp hardware--------kinda hate it in my UG courses
6.VLSI and analog systems----------slightle interested
7.Micro electronics---------again no idea what is this word means.if its advanced form of microprocessors then interested

out of these i am much interested in siganal processing and contral systems.Embed systems i have no idea what it is?the thing i want to know is what kind of jobs these fields offering.which one to chose keeping job prospects in priority.
thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

If signal processing and communication is your thing, you should try those things only. I would advice going against VLSI/analog/microelectronics, which will bore you.

Related to Which one to choose?DSP/Commun/control/embed

1. How do I decide between DSP, Communications, Control, or Embedded systems?

There are a few factors to consider when making this decision. Firstly, think about your interests and strengths. If you enjoy working with electronics and coding, then embedded systems may be a good fit. If you are more interested in signal processing and data manipulation, then DSP may be the better choice. If you enjoy understanding and controlling systems, then control engineering may be the field for you. Lastly, if you are interested in wireless communication and networking, then communications may be the right option.

2. What are the job opportunities for each field?

All four of these fields have a wide range of job opportunities. DSP engineers can work in industries such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, and medical imaging. Communication engineers can find work in wireless and mobile communication, satellite systems, and network design. Control engineers are needed in industries such as robotics, aerospace, and manufacturing. Embedded systems engineers can work in fields such as consumer electronics, automotive, and industrial automation.

3. How do I determine which field has the best career prospects?

It's difficult to say which field has the best career prospects as it often depends on the current job market and industry demand. However, all four of these fields are in high demand and have a promising outlook for the future. It's important to choose a field that aligns with your interests and strengths rather than solely based on career prospects.

4. What are the main differences between these fields?

DSP focuses on processing and analyzing digital signals, while communications deals with the transmission and reception of information. Control engineering involves designing systems to achieve a desired behavior or response, and embedded systems focus on designing and programming computer systems to perform specific tasks in devices. Each field has its own unique set of skills and applications, but they all share a foundation in mathematics, programming, and electronics.

5. Can I switch between these fields once I've chosen one?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these fields as they all have overlapping skills and knowledge. However, it may require additional education or training depending on the specific field. It's important to have a strong foundation in the fundamentals of engineering and continuously develop new skills to be able to pivot between these fields.