Which Option Should I Choose for the Complex Ion Based on the Given Information?

In summary, a complex ion is a charged entity consisting of a central metal ion surrounded by multiple ligands bonded through coordinate covalent bonds. These ions can be identified through methods such as colorimetry, spectroscopy, and chemical tests. They have several defining characteristics, including a coordination number and geometry, and are important in various fields such as medicine and industry. Complex ions form through coordination bonding, with stability depending on factors such as charge and ligand properties.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 11.36.13 AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is 0.2 mol of Cl- ions so therefore this leaves us with a 1:1 ratio for the chloride ion to chromium ion in the complex ion. This leaves us with option B or D. However, I am not sure how to choose between them. Can someone give me some advice?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is enough information to choose between the two here.

Likes TT0

Related to Which Option Should I Choose for the Complex Ion Based on the Given Information?

1. What is a complex ion?

A complex ion is a charged entity that consists of a central metal ion surrounded by multiple ligands. These ligands are molecules or ions that are bonded to the metal ion through coordinate covalent bonds.

2. How do you identify a complex ion?

To identify a complex ion, you can use several methods such as colorimetry, spectroscopy, or chemical tests. These techniques involve observing the color, absorption spectrum, or reactivity of the solution containing the complex ion.

3. What are the characteristics of a complex ion?

Complex ions have several defining characteristics, including a central metal ion, multiple ligands, and an overall charge. They also have a coordination number, which is the number of ligands bonded to the metal ion, and a coordination geometry, which describes the arrangement of the ligands around the metal ion.

4. What is the importance of complex ions?

Complex ions have many important applications in fields such as medicine, industry, and environmental science. They can be used as catalysts, dyes, or inorganic pigments. They also play a crucial role in biochemical processes and are essential for the functioning of many biological systems.

5. How do complex ions form?

Complex ions are formed through the process of coordination bonding, where a metal ion accepts electron pairs from ligands to form coordinate covalent bonds. This process can occur in solution or in solid state, and the stability of the complex ion depends on factors such as the charge and size of the metal ion, and the nature of the ligands.