Which Programming Language is Best?

In summary, a college degree in physics requires a programming class, and C++ is the best language for this.
danielu13
Hey guys,

Starting in a couple weeks, I will begin my college education at North Carolina State as a Physics major. One requirement for my degree is a programming class. For my degree, the offer FORTRAN, C++, Java, and MATLAB. My counselor has not advised me to take a single one, just to choose. I'm trying to figure out which one would be the most useful and the best for the future. From my research so far, C++ seems to be the best, as it seems that Java is not used much for science and FORTRAN is rather outdated. But I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
No, Fortran is not outdate at all. May be old, but that does not mean is outdated. Also, there is a reason why is "old" or better put, there is a reason why it is still around! Fortran came out of the sciences and has always been used in the sciences. The most used and bug free algorithms that you will one day need, have been around in Fortran.

Fortran protects you against memory leaks better than C or C++. Fortran now has structures and pointers if that is what you like. Fortran handles arrays a-la-matlab, if that is what you like; it can also vectorize array operations. Matlab's behind-the-scene linear algebra package is written in Fortran 90.

just a couple of cents.

I would recommend finding out what computers and what language the physics department uses, since that is your major.

What is the best fortran compiler for Windows 64-bit? Also OS X? Preferably something free or reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I think C++ is the best choice. I am not in the field of physics so I cannot say for sure that it is the most often used for that, but I know someone who works for a theoretical chemist and does C++ programming for their computational models, so C++ is definitely used for some scientific modeling.

C++ is a powerful language, and is also widely used.

Last edited:
I've looked at both of those, but they seem somewhat confusing so far. I found Simply Fortran, which apparently is cheap and keeps some functionality after the trial has expired either way. Has anyone worked with that?

I had never heard of Simply Fortran, it seems fair; basically, they are packaging free tools: gfortran (and probably the rest of the GNU tool chain for C), Scintilla editor, GDB debugger...the only thing that seems they wrote is the IDE itself.

If you were confused with the webpages for gfortran and g95, $25 is a very reasonable amount of money to pay to save you a couple of hours of your time if you do not have experience searching and installing software, etc.

Go for it, it will save you a lot of trouble.

FAQ: Which Programming Language is Best?

1. Which programming language is the best for beginners?

The best programming language for beginners depends on your personal goals and interests. Some popular options for beginners include Python, Java, and HTML/CSS.

2. Which programming language is the best for web development?

For web development, the most commonly used languages are HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Other popular options include PHP and Ruby on Rails.

3. Which programming language is the best for data analysis?

For data analysis, the most commonly used languages include Python, R, and SQL. Each language has its strengths and weaknesses, so it's important to research and choose the one that best fits your needs.

4. Which programming language is the best for creating mobile apps?

The best programming language for creating mobile apps depends on the platform you are targeting. For iOS, Swift and Objective-C are popular choices, while for Android, Java and Kotlin are commonly used.

5. Which programming language is the best for game development?

The best programming language for game development depends on the type of game you want to create. For 2D games, options include C# with Unity or JavaScript with HTML5. For 3D games, popular choices are C++ with Unreal Engine or C# with Unity.

Back