Which Proportion is Not Equivalent in This SAT Math Problem?

Therefore, (A) is the only one that is not equivalent to af=bc. In summary, the proportions in this question are all equivalent to af=bc except for (A), which is equivalent to fb=ac.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

If a, b, c, and f are four nonzero numbers, then all of the following proportions are equivalent EXCEPT

(A) (a / f) = (b / c)
(B) (f / c) = (b / a)
(C) (c / a) = (f / b)
(D) (a / c) = (b / f)
(E) (af / bc) = (1 / 1)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is A, but I have absolutely no clue why. This question doesn't even make sense. And no, there's no diagram or any other info, which makes me think that this question was an error...

Physics news on Phys.org
Elbobo said:

Homework Statement

If a, b, c, and f are four nonzero numbers, then all of the following proportions are equivalent EXCEPT

(A) (a / f) = (b / c)
(B) (f / c) = (b / a)
(C) (c / a) = (f / b)
(D) (a / c) = (b / f)
(E) (af / bc) = (1 / 1)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is A, but I have absolutely no clue why. This question doesn't even make sense. And no, there's no diagram or any other info, which makes me think that this question was an error...
Perhaps it would make more sense if you wrote it in terms of products, by multiplying on both sides by the denominators, rather than fractions.

(A) is equivalent to ac= bf.
(B) is equivalent to af= bc.
(C) is equivalent to bc= af (which, of course, is the same as af= bc).
(D) is equivalent to af= bc.
(E) is equivalent to af= bc.

Now do you see why all except (A) are equivalent?

(B)-(F) are all equivalent to af=bc. (A) is equivalent to fb=ac.

Related to Which Proportion is Not Equivalent in This SAT Math Problem?

What is a proportion?

A proportion is a statement that two ratios are equal. It is represented by the following format: a/b = c/d.

How do I solve a proportion?

To solve a proportion, you can use the cross-multiplication method. You multiply the numerator of one ratio by the denominator of the other ratio, and then set the two products equal to each other.

Can proportions be used in real-life situations?

Yes, proportions are commonly used in real-life situations, such as cooking, budgeting, and scaling. They help us find the relationship between two quantities and make comparisons.

What are direct and inverse proportions?

In direct proportions, as one quantity increases, the other quantity also increases. Inverse proportions, on the other hand, have an inverse relationship where as one quantity increases, the other quantity decreases.

How can I check if my answer to a proportion question is correct?

You can check your answer by substituting the values into the original proportion and seeing if it still holds true. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer.