Which Research Path Should I Choose at ASU for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering?

• Thread starter jlefevre76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the forum poster is starting a PhD program in mechanical engineering at ASU with a focus on thermodynamics and heat transfer. They are considering two avenues of research - algae biofuel research and photovoltaics research - and are seeking advice on which route to take. They are also open to exploring other potential research areas within mechanical engineering.
jlefevre76
Ok, so, I'm going to ASU this Fall to start a PhD program in mechanical engineering. Specifically, all of my expertise is in thermodynamics and heat transfer. So, I plan on doing research related to such a field if possible.

ASU (Arizona State) has two avenues of research that interest me:
1. Algae biofuel research (algae biofuel lab)
2. Photovoltaics research (quantum solar energy lab)

While these areas of research are not strictly based on mechanical engineering principles, both labs do occasionally hire mechanical engineers. Any suggestions from anybody on which route to take? Or, if either of these options don't make sense for me to research, what sort of thing should I research? Bear in mind, I probably want a commitee chair who is part of their mechanical engineering department.

Physics news on Phys.org

Congratulations on starting your PhD program in mechanical engineering at ASU! It's great to see that you have a clear focus on thermodynamics and heat transfer and are interested in pursuing research in these areas.

Regarding your question about which avenue of research to take, I would suggest considering your own personal interests and strengths. Both algae biofuel research and photovoltaics research are highly interdisciplinary fields, and as a mechanical engineer, you may bring a unique perspective and skill set to either lab.

If you have a passion for sustainability and renewable energy, then algae biofuel research may be a great fit for you. As you mentioned, this field does involve thermodynamics and heat transfer, and your expertise in these areas could be valuable in optimizing the efficiency of algae biofuel production. Additionally, your mechanical engineering background could also contribute to the design and optimization of the equipment and systems used in the process.

On the other hand, if you have a strong interest in materials and energy conversion, then photovoltaics research may be a good choice. As a mechanical engineer, you may be able to contribute to the development and optimization of the materials and systems used in quantum solar energy research. Your expertise in thermodynamics and heat transfer could also be useful in understanding and improving the energy conversion processes involved.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your own interests and goals for your research. I would also recommend exploring the faculty members in both labs and reaching out to potential committee chairs to discuss your research interests and see if they align with their areas of expertise.

If neither of these options feels like the right fit for you, don't worry. There are plenty of other potential research areas within mechanical engineering that may interest you. Some examples could include advanced materials, energy storage, or combustion and emissions control.

I wish you all the best in your research journey at ASU. Remember to stay open-minded and explore different options before making a decision. Good luck!

Related to Which Research Path Should I Choose at ASU for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering?

1. What is ASU research?

ASU research refers to the various studies, experiments, and investigations conducted by Arizona State University (ASU) faculty, students, and staff in pursuit of new knowledge and understanding in various fields of study.

2. Why are research recommendations important?

Research recommendations are important because they provide evidence-based guidance and suggestions for further study or action in a particular area of research. They can help identify new research questions, inform policy decisions, and contribute to the advancement of knowledge.

3. How are ASU research recommendations developed?

ASU research recommendations are typically developed through a rigorous process that involves reviewing existing literature, conducting original studies or experiments, analyzing data, and synthesizing findings. This process may also involve collaboration with other researchers and experts in the field.

4. Who can benefit from ASU research recommendations?

ASU research recommendations can benefit a wide range of individuals and groups, including other researchers, policymakers, businesses, and the general public. They can inform decision-making, drive innovation, and improve the overall understanding of various topics and issues.

5. How can I access ASU research recommendations?

ASU research recommendations are typically published in academic journals, reports, and other publications. They may also be available on the ASU website or through other academic databases. Additionally, attending conferences and seminars related to a specific research topic can also provide access to the latest research recommendations from ASU and other institutions.