Which Should I Take First: Analytical Chemistry or Physical Chemistry?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on which course to take first - analytical chemistry or physical chemistry - for the upcoming spring semester. They mention that they will have to take physical chemistry 2 and are wondering if they should take physical chemistry first because of that. The responder suggests that analytical chemistry may not necessarily help with physical chemistry, and it may be better to take it because it involves a lot of review of general chemistry. They also mention that in their experience, physical chemistry 2 was only offered in the spring and it may be better to take it as soon as possible. Ultimately, they conclude that it doesn't matter which course is taken first as they are very different and success in one does not necessarily guarantee success in the other.
chanv1
I will be picking my Spring courses on Monday and I just want to know which class you would recommend me taking first: analytical chem or physical chemistry? does it matter which I take first? I will have to take physical chemistry 2, so should I take physical chemistry first because of that? I'd really appreciate your opinion! Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
chanv1 said:
I will be picking my Spring courses on Monday and I just want to know which class you would recommend me taking first: analytical chem or physical chemistry? does it matter which I take first? I will have to take physical chemistry 2, so should I take physical chemistry first because of that? I'd really appreciate your opinion! Thanks.

I took Analytical Chemistry , however it really did not help with Physical Chemistry , the latter takes more time however the lab of the former is going to be more demanding. It may be better to take Analytical Chemistry since it involves a lot of review of General Chemistry.

I would say that Analytical Chemistry will not help in Physical Chemistry, while Physical Chemistry _may_ help in Analytical - depending on the syllabus.

If your school was like mine, PChem 2 was only offered in the spring so that the cohort could move smoothly through. If you didn't grab PChem 2 when you could, you had to wait a year for another chance. Analytical chemistry was offered more often. I would take PChem 2 as soon as you can after PChem 1. You can always get around to Analytical Chemistry...

I don't think it matters which one you pick first; these are two very different courses. In A.Chem, laboratory technique is very important and theory takes a back seat (or it should anyways...). P. Chem on the other hand is mostly theory and the lab (if one is even offered) takes a back seat. Apples and oranges, success in one probably has little to do with success in the other.

Related to Which Should I Take First: Analytical Chemistry or Physical Chemistry?

1. What is the difference between analytical and physical chemistry?

Analytical chemistry is focused on the identification and quantification of chemical components in a sample, while physical chemistry studies the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level.

2. Is it better to take analytical or physical chemistry first?

It depends on your specific goals and interests. If you are more interested in understanding the chemical composition of substances, then analytical chemistry may be a better choice. However, if you are more interested in the physical properties and behaviors of matter, then physical chemistry may be a better fit for you.

3. Do I need a strong background in math for analytical or physical chemistry?

Yes, both analytical and physical chemistry involve a significant amount of mathematical calculations. A strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and statistics is essential for success in these fields.

4. Are there any career opportunities for analytical and physical chemists?

Yes, there are many career opportunities for analytical and physical chemists in industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, materials science, and forensics. They can also pursue academic and research positions in universities and government agencies.

5. What are some common techniques used in analytical and physical chemistry?

Some common techniques used in analytical chemistry include chromatography, spectroscopy, and titration. In physical chemistry, techniques such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and kinetics are commonly used to study the properties and behavior of matter.