Which solution turns purple when nicl2 is added?

• Thread starter ccmetz2020
  • Start date
In summary, nicl2 is the chemical formula for nickel(II) chloride, a compound used in laboratory experiments and industrial processes. The purple color when nicl2 is added is due to the presence of nickel ions, and it is temporary as the ions react with other substances or are absorbed by the container. Other substances can be added to change the color, such as sodium hydroxide or ammonia. Nicl2 is commonly used in experiments because it can form different complex compounds and is versatile in chemical reactions and processes.
ccmetz2020

Homework Statement

Okay I've been scouring the internet for an hour now and cannot find the answer for the life of me. Which of these solutions turn purple when NiCl2 is added to it?:

Ammonium hydroxide
Sodium carbonate
Potassium thiocyanate

I can't find any ions in these solutions that would turn purple so I have no idea. Please help me! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get precipitates or complexes in these solutions. Think what can react with what and check what are colors of possible products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Which solution turns purple when nicl2 is added?

1. What is nicl2?

Nicl2 is the chemical formula for nickel(II) chloride, a compound commonly used in laboratory experiments and industrial processes.

2. Why does the solution turn purple when nicl2 is added?

The purple color is due to the presence of nickel ions in the solution. When dissolved in water, nicl2 dissociates into nickel ions and chloride ions. The nickel ions absorb certain wavelengths of light and reflect others, resulting in the purple color.

3. Is the purple color permanent or temporary?

The purple color is temporary and will fade over time as the nickel ions react with other substances in the solution or are absorbed by the container.

4. Can other substances be added to the solution to change the color?

Yes, other substances can be added to the solution to change the color. For example, adding sodium hydroxide will cause the solution to turn green, and adding ammonia will cause it to turn blue.

5. Why is nicl2 commonly used in experiments?

Nicl2 is commonly used in experiments because it is a versatile compound that can form different complex compounds with other substances, making it useful in a wide range of chemical reactions and processes.

Back