Which Statistical Test to Use for Ecology Lab Report on Bird Diversity?

• Thread starter fatima_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation was about an ecology lab report that required a figure with at least one statistical test. The hypothesis being tested was that there would be greater bird diversity in disturbed areas compared to woodlot areas. The data collected through observation showed an average of 21.66666667 birds in disturbed areas and 10.6 birds in woodlot areas, with corresponding standard deviations of 6.027713773 and 3.361547263. However, more information about the data collection method is needed to determine the appropriate statistical test to use. It was also noted that the goal of statistics is to disprove the hypothesis, not prove it.
fatima_a
so this is for my lab report for ecology. i need to have a figure showing at least 1 stat test.

the hypothesis i am trying to prove is that diversity of birds will be greater in disturbed areas (like with human influence) compared to woodlot (like forest and such)

from the data

average disturbed = 21.66666667
standard deviation =6.027713773

average woodlot = 10.6
standard deviation = 3.361547263

i just can't seem to figure out whether i need to use a t test or correlation. please help it would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain more about how the data were collected in order to get assistance finding the right statistical test. At first glance, it sounds like you're probably collecting your data as integers, not continuous data, so will likely need to use nonparametric statistics, not a t-test.

And, to use statistics appropriately, you are trying to DISprove your hypothesis.

the data was collected just by observation outside like counting the number of birds you see or the people that walk by.

Related to Which Statistical Test to Use for Ecology Lab Report on Bird Diversity?

1. What is the purpose of conducting a statistical test?

The purpose of conducting a statistical test is to determine whether there is a significant difference between two or more groups or variables. It helps to determine whether the observed differences are due to chance or if they are a result of actual differences in the population.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a stat test?

There are several factors that should be considered when choosing a stat test, such as the type of data (categorical or continuous), the number of groups or variables being compared, and the research question being addressed. It is also important to consider the assumptions of the test and the level of measurement of the variables.

3. What is the difference between parametric and non-parametric stat tests?

Parametric stat tests assume that the data follows a normal distribution, whereas non-parametric tests do not make this assumption. Parametric tests are more powerful and sensitive to small differences, but they are also more stringent in their assumptions. Non-parametric tests are more flexible and can be used with non-normal data, but they may have less power to detect differences.

4. How do I know which stat test is appropriate for my data?

The best way to determine which stat test is appropriate for your data is to consult with a statistician or use a guide or flowchart that can help you make the decision. It is important to carefully consider the type of data and research question, and to choose a test that aligns with these factors.

5. Can I use the same stat test for all my experiments?

No, it is not appropriate to use the same stat test for all experiments. Each research question and dataset is unique, and therefore requires careful consideration to choose the most appropriate test. Using the wrong stat test can lead to incorrect conclusions and undermine the validity of your results.