Which technical field is in most demand in the US at the present time

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding research-related jobs in physics and asks which technical field is currently in high demand in the US. It is mentioned that IT related positions are highly sought after and that chemical engineering and health related fields are also perceived to be in demand. A link to a study on engineering statistics is provided as a resource for further research.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. One of the common themes/complaints/rants that I hear over and over in the Career Guidance section of Physics Forums is the difficulty in securing research-related jobs in physics (due to excess supply of PhDs vs number of such positions available, both academic and industrial).

This leads me to my next question. Which technical field, in your humble opinions. is most in demand in the US at the present time? And when I speak of being "in demand", this is relative to other technical positions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sadly, one of the most in demand "technical" professions that pays really well is really not very technical (you don't need a bachelors of science). That would be IT related positions.

I always seem to see chemical engineers and health related fields in high demand, but that is just my personal impression, and not based in any facts.

Here is something you might find interesting:
http://www.asee.org/papers-and-publications/publications/college-profiles/2010-profile-engineering-statistics.pdf

The web has a lot of useful studies and statistics if you do your research.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Which technical field is in most demand in the US at the present time

1. What is the most in-demand technical field in the US right now?

According to current job market trends, the most in-demand technical field in the US is software development and engineering.

2. Is there a shortage of skilled workers in the in-demand technical field?

Yes, there is a shortage of skilled workers in the in-demand technical field. This is due to the rapid growth of technology and the increasing need for professionals with specialized skills in this field.

3. Are there any specific industries driving the demand for this technical field?

Yes, there are several industries that are driving the demand for the in-demand technical field. These include tech companies, finance, healthcare, and e-commerce.

4. What are the job prospects like for professionals in this technical field?

The job prospects for professionals in the in-demand technical field are very promising. With the ever-growing demand for skilled workers in this field, there are plenty of job opportunities and room for career growth and advancement.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are in high demand within this technical field?

Yes, there are several specific skills and qualifications that are in high demand within the in-demand technical field. These include programming languages, data analysis, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence.