Which Textbooks Should I Use to Self-Teach Physics?

• Thread starter tomaso88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, this person is looking to learn physics from a beginner's level to as far as they are able to self teach at home. They want to learn what is taught in school and want help finding a good textbook. They know algebra and trigonometry, and would like to learn more mathematics. They know about the book "Principles of Physics" and think it is a good book for starting out. This person is probably interested in advanced topics, so they may want to look at other books.
tomaso88
Hey everyone, I really do hope I'm posting in the right section new forums can be overwhelming sometimes so it's hard to know.

I'm looking to start learning physics, I have little to no experience in the subject and was wondering what textbooks I should buy, I want to self teach myself from a beginners level, to as far as I am able to at home, so basically from a year 11 level to as advance as I can possibly self teach, I know there are ebooks on this site but I'd rather learn out of a textbook, any help is greatly appreciated and I promise to become active on this forum once i start learning :). I don't want to just learn theories I actually want to learn what they teach at school and uni. I can to this forum after realising I should ask some experts what I should learn instead of buying random textbooks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much mathematics do you know? Algebra? Trigonometry? Calculus?

jtbell said:
How much mathematics do you know? Algebra? Trigonometry? Calculus?

I know algebra and trigonometry, If I see the physics work though and I realize I need to work more on my maths as well I'll just get my old math textbooks and buy some if I have to :) but I don't know Calculus

This one is good for calculus Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach By MORRIS KLINE
Mathematics and the Physical World (Dover books explaining science) by Morris Kline

Maybe it's late, but this book is very interesting and useful (as u want from basic to advance)
PRINCIPLES OF PHYSICS by FREDERICK J. BUECHE & DAVID A. JERDE

FAQ: Which Textbooks Should I Use to Self-Teach Physics?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a textbook?

When choosing a textbook, it is important to consider the subject matter, level of difficulty, and relevance to your course or research. Additionally, you should consider the author's credentials and reputation in the field, as well as the publication date and any updates or revisions that may have been made.

2. How many textbooks should I use for a particular subject?

The number of textbooks you use for a particular subject will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Some students may find one comprehensive textbook to be sufficient, while others may benefit from using multiple texts to gain a more well-rounded understanding of the subject.

3. Can I use older editions of a textbook?

In most cases, using an older edition of a textbook should be fine as long as the subject matter has not significantly changed. However, it is important to check with your instructor or do some research to make sure the information is still up-to-date and relevant.

4. Are online textbooks a good alternative to print textbooks?

Online textbooks can be a convenient and cost-effective alternative to print textbooks. However, it is important to consider the reliability of the source and whether or not the online format will work well for your learning style.

5. How can I save money on textbooks?

There are several ways to save money on textbooks, such as buying used or renting instead of buying new, purchasing international editions, or borrowing from the library. You can also look for digital versions or explore open educational resources (OERs) that are available for free online.