Which Thermodynamic Process Governs Gas Filling an Evacuated Space?

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Space
In summary, the gas is isothermal and the final temperature is the same no matter what process is used to find it.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I am not sure what assumption I can make for this problem and why it's valid. It certainly isn't isochoric. Since the volume changes, I conclude its not isobaric either (P should decrease). I don't think it's adiabatic because the part (b) clearly hints that it is not reversible in part (a). That leaves me with isothermal. But if a gas expands, it's temperature should decrease.

Therefore, I don't know which of these processes I could use to solve for the final temperature.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399441562.846605.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399441562.846605.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
What about PV = nRT?

If you expanded some gas into an evacuated chamber, can you think of a way the gas would 'unexpand' itself back to its original state?

Right. Well, if I do

P1V1 = RT1
P2V1 = RT2

then I get P1/T1 = P2/T2.

However, I only have P1 and T1.

If you think of the tank as a black box, then no heat enters or leaves the tank, and no work is done on it. So what does that tell you about the change in internal energy of its contents?

Chet

The internal energy is constant, so it is isothermal.

It is a bit troubling to think about gas expanding at constant temperature without having heat removed or added in order to maintain the constant T.

Maylis said:
The internal energy is constant, so it is isothermal.

It is a bit troubling to think about gas expanding at constant temperature without having heat removed or added in order to maintain the constant T.
In the dynamic transient process that occurs in the tank before the system finally equilibrates, several things are happening, including local expansion against adjacent gas (tendency to cool), local recompression in some regions (tendency to heat), local acceleration to develop kinetic energy, and viscous dissipation of kinetic energy (tendency to heat). The overall final net effect is no temperature change.

Chet

FAQ: Which Thermodynamic Process Governs Gas Filling an Evacuated Space?

1. How does gas filling up evacuated space occur?

Gas filling up evacuated space occurs when there is a difference in pressure between the inside and outside of a container. The gas molecules move from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure, filling up the space.

2. What is the purpose of filling up evacuated space with gas?

The purpose of filling up evacuated space with gas is to create a controlled environment for experiments or to prevent contamination in sensitive equipment. Gas can also be used as insulation to prevent heat transfer.

3. How is the amount of gas needed to fill up evacuated space determined?

The amount of gas needed to fill up evacuated space is determined by the volume of the space and the desired gas pressure. The ideal gas law, PV=nRT, can be used to calculate the number of moles of gas needed.

4. What factors can affect the rate of gas filling up evacuated space?

The rate of gas filling up evacuated space can be affected by the size of the opening, the type of gas used, the temperature, and the initial pressure of the gas. These factors can impact the speed at which the gas molecules move and fill up the space.

5. Can gas filling up evacuated space be reversed?

Yes, gas filling up evacuated space can be reversed by decreasing the pressure inside the container, allowing the gas molecules to escape. This can be done by opening a valve or using a vacuum pump to remove the gas from the space.