Which to accept, oxford or cambridge?

• Thread starter Baggio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cambridge
In summary, the best option for an expert summarizer is either Oxford or Cambridge. Both universities have excellent reputations, and it doesn't really matter which one you go to.
Baggio
Hi,

I have two Phd offers from Oxford and Cambridge and I need to make my decision by thursday... I want to do a post doc in the US so international reputation is of most importance...any thoughts?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well they are the two best most respected universities in the UK so really it doesn't really matter which one you go too.

Have you had a look at the place?
The environment?

It might help you decide which one is towards your taste.

And on general, Cambridge is good for sciences whereas Oxford is good for Arts.

Hope it helps, congratz btw.

The one that is best suited to your phd area would be my guess :confused:

Well my area of interest is solid state quantum information processing. They both have very similar projects with good supervisors. I just want to know which has the better international reputation as I plan to leave after I finish my phd.

Most people DO say Oxford is more renouned for the arts whereas Cambridge is better for science.

You could look at both university sites on information on graduate studies and may want to request information about the physics department for both.

If you believe in league tables then see this : http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gooduniversityguide2005/20physics.pdf

In the end it doesn't really matter which one you go too as both are very well respected.

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen most of the league tables... They seem to suggest Oxford is the best. Though I visited clarendon and it seemed quite run down. Decided to go with Cambridge because the project will involve working with Toshiba which can only be good for my CV :) .. plus they're offering more money.

Thanks

Ok I'm back at square one again... Can't decide. The supervisor as Oxford seems to really want me to go there judging by the e-mail he just sent me. Both projects involve using quantum dots as single photon sources for quantum information processing. I was wondering if there is anyone working in this field who may have an opinion as to which would be the better option.

I have till Tuesday to decide because that's when Oxford need to know

You shouldn't go by what the different unis are reputed to excel at at UG level :rolleyes:

Like othershave said, you need to check out:

1. The supervisor
  2. The research group
  3. The towns

For the first two - check out their publications, look for PRLs etc.

...but, very importantly, make sure your supervisor will have time to supervise you, eg. if they are HoD, they won't have much time...

For the third - I'd much rather live in Cambridge.

J77 said:
You shouldn't go by what the different unis are reputed to excel at at UG level :rolleyes:

Like othershave said, you need to check out:

1. The supervisor
  2. The research group
  3. The towns

For the first two - check out their publications, look for PRLs etc.

...but, very importantly, make sure your supervisor will have time to supervise you, eg. if they are HoD, they won't have much time...

For the third - I'd much rather live in Cambridge.

The reason I'm going by reputation is because I've considered those things you said but couldn't decide still. I've made my decision now though and it's Cambridge as your second bullet point clinches it i think. To be working with Toshiba would be a real bonus.

I saw that on a Google search - that's a good point: Cambridge has more business/science parks (semi-) associated with the uni.:-)

And, presumably, it'll be DAMPT which isn't too bad :-)

Last edited:
Yeah actually the project allocated to me involves working with the Quantum Information Group http://www.toshiba-europe.com/research/crl/QIG/

I think the director of that group Prof Pepper is also the head of semiconductor physics at Cambridge.

Can't ask for more really..

Related to Which to accept, oxford or cambridge?

1. Which university has a better reputation, Oxford or Cambridge?

Both Oxford and Cambridge have a long history of academic excellence and are highly respected universities. Ultimately, the decision between the two should be based on your personal interests and the specific programs and opportunities offered by each university.

2. What are the major differences between Oxford and Cambridge?

While both universities have a similar academic structure and high standards, there are some key differences. Oxford has a more tutorial-based system, with one-on-one or small group teaching, while Cambridge uses a combination of lectures and supervisions. Additionally, the cities of Oxford and Cambridge have distinct cultures and environments.

3. Is one university more prestigious than the other?

Both Oxford and Cambridge are considered to be among the most prestigious universities in the world. It is difficult to say definitively which one is more prestigious, as it often depends on the specific field of study and individual opinions. Both universities have produced numerous Nobel Laureates, Prime Ministers, and other notable alumni.

4. Which university has a better student life?

This is a subjective question and ultimately depends on personal preferences. Both universities have a wide range of extracurricular activities, societies, and sports teams for students to get involved in. It is recommended to visit both universities and speak to current students to get a better understanding of the student life at each.

5. How do I decide between Oxford and Cambridge?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal interests, academic goals, and specific program offerings at each university. It is important to thoroughly research both universities, visit the campuses, and speak to current students and faculty to make an informed decision. It is also important to remember that both universities are highly prestigious and choosing either one will provide a top-quality education.