Which Tool Is Best for Building a Hair Salon Employee Management Program?

• Thread starter Bailey
  • Start date
In summary, the hairdressing salon owner would like to create a simple program to keep track of its employee's daily workload.
Bailey
I have very limited programming experience, only done VB in the past and excel and access to some extent. I'm trying to creat a simple program for this problem:

An owner a hairdressing salon want to keep track of its employee's daily workload. Basically she want each employee to input basic data such as the "time interval" for each customer they service, the "price" they charge for the service. Then at the end of the day, she can save & print out a manifest that show those basic data. And furthermore, at the end of the month she can print out a final manifest that show everything such as total customer each employee service in that given month, and the accumulated revenue for each employee.

I'm kinda mixed as to which way would be the easier route to setup a program that enable her to do this. It has to be either vb or excel (& access). Any advice would be appreciated, Thank.

Technology news on Phys.org
It would be relatively simple to create an excel worksheet to keep track of that kind of information. It would be something else to get the system to work, if we consider aspects of :
1. Big brother effect: the employees will feel like having a video camera over their heads, every move they do would be monitored.
2. Money effect: do they have to report tips? Are they employees paid by the hour or free-lance paying a commission?
3. Union effect: Is that a big place with 35 employees where the supervisor cannot keep track of who's doing what? Can the supervisor or the cashier do the data entry instead of the employee? Can this system be combined with an appointment system to <camouflage> the monitoring effect? Is a supervisor/owner present all the time?

I agree with mathmate, the easiest answer would be an Excel spreadsheet.

But, I think a long term solution would be an Access database MDE or a VB .Net application using an Access/MSQL database.

The reason I say move to the database is that once you get the information into the tables you can begin reporting off of it without having a third party tool. Granted, it is possible to report information from an Excel spreadsheet, but IMHO it's much more efficient and clean to have it in a database table.

but IMHO it's much more efficient and clean to have it in a database table.

I agree with that too. I am just thinking of the development time and maintenance headaches unless it is done by someone familiar with the subject.

I personally do not like Excel or Access solutions for exactly the same reasons as you mentioned, ... dragging an MS software for every user. There are security issues too, like data being modified, etc.

FAQ: Which Tool Is Best for Building a Hair Salon Employee Management Program?

1. How do I approach solving a problem?

The first step is to clearly define the problem and understand its scope. Then, gather all relevant information and data. Next, brainstorm possible solutions and evaluate their feasibility. Finally, choose the best solution and create a plan to implement it.

2. What if I can't come up with a solution?

If you're struggling to find a solution, try approaching the problem from a different perspective. You can also seek advice from others or take a break and come back to it with a fresh mind. Don't be afraid to ask for help or consult with experts in the field.

3. How can I ensure my solution is effective?

To ensure your solution is effective, it's important to test it and gather feedback. This will help you identify any potential flaws or areas for improvement. Additionally, make sure your solution aligns with the problem and addresses all key components.

4. How do I handle setbacks or obstacles?

Setbacks and obstacles are a natural part of problem-solving. It's important to remain resilient and keep an open mind. Try to learn from the setback and use it to improve your solution. Don't be afraid to adapt and make changes to your approach if needed.

5. What should I do if my solution doesn't work?

If your solution doesn't work, don't get discouraged. It's important to reflect on why it didn't work and learn from the experience. You may need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a different solution. Remember, failure is a part of the problem-solving process and can lead to valuable insights.

Back