Which Type of Sensor is More Accurate: Thermocouple or RTD?

In summary: Bear in mind that a Pt100 RTD is more accurate (+-2.7°C+0.5°C) and has a much wider temperature range (-50°C to 1000°C). However, they are also more expensive.
Su Solberg
I wonder whether the accuracy of that thermometer with a type K sensor is as follow:

encironment: 90'C
Sensor type: resistance sensor
so the accuracy = +/- 90*0.005+0.5 = +/-0.95'C

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• questions.PNG
    questions.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 596
Science news on Phys.org
Su Solberg said:
I wonder whether the accuracy of that thermometer with a type K sensor is as follow:

encironment: 90'C
Sensor type: resistance sensor
so the accuracy = +/- 90*0.005+0.5 = +/-0.95'C

Thanks for your help.

It's a K-type thermocouple:

Usually accuracies are measured as a function of the full scale (FS). In the first instance this would be a full scale of 1350°C (from -50 to 1300). so +- 0.2% of that would be 2.7°C then plus the 0.5°C would be +- 3.2°C. Or it is +- 2.7°C + 0.5, which would be +3.2/-2.2°C So if it reads 90°C it the temperature could actually lie anywhere between 86.8°C and 93.2°C... or between 87.8°C and 93.2°C

redargon said:
It's a K-type thermocouple:

Usually accuracies are measured as a function of the full scale (FS). In the first instance this would be a full scale of 1350°C (from -50 to 1300). so +- 0.2% of that would be 2.7°C then plus the 0.5°C would be +- 3.2°C. Or it is +- 2.7°C + 0.5, which would be +3.2/-2.2°C So if it reads 90°C it the temperature could actually lie anywhere between 86.8°C and 93.2°C... or between 87.8°C and 93.2°C

Since the catelog said the calabration (* it has not said measured accuracy) is performed at 18-28 Celsius, may I say the accuracies is not FS any more? just the error is (0.14°C+0.5°C = 0.64°C)

Btw, it is thermocopule type sensor

Thank you very much for your help.

No, I don't think so. From what I know, typical k-type thermocouples have between +-1.5°C and +-2.5°C accuracy in the lower temperatures (-50°C to 350°C) and around 0.4 to 0.75% of the temperature for higher temperatures (above 350°C). So, 0.64°C seems a little low for a typical K-type.

if you want something more accurate, i would suggest a Pt100 temperature sensor, although it depends on your situation and what range you want to measure and what accuracy you really require.

redargon said:
No, I don't think so. From what I know, typical k-type thermocouples have between +-1.5°C and +-2.5°C accuracy in the lower temperatures (-50°C to 350°C) and around 0.4 to 0.75% of the temperature for higher temperatures (above 350°C). So, 0.64°C seems a little low for a typical K-type.

if you want something more accurate, i would suggest a Pt100 temperature sensor, although it depends on your situation and what range you want to measure and what accuracy you really require.

Thanks for your advise.

Since the Type K thermometer will have +- 1.5 to 2.5'C at -50-350'C, it is poorer than a mecury glass tube thermometer!

The application of the sensor is conduct a flow measurement for compressor by getting pressure difference between a nozzle(measure the mass flow rate and transform back to volume flow). The temperature is around 100'C.

I wonder Pt100's principle and is it much more expensive?

Thanks for your reply.

p.s. the attached is the spec. of the thermometer

Attachments

• TM-926.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 631
sorry that it took a while to get back to you, i was on holiday.

here is a interesting link for considerations whether to use a thermocouple or a pt100 (a typical type of resistance temperature detector or RTD): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_thermometer#When_to_use_RTDs_or_thermocouples

Bear in mind that you can log the measurements from a thermocouple or RTD electronically if you want to measure and analyse data over a longer period experiment. Whereas, with a standard thermometer you have to either write down the observed values or set up a video camera to read the results.

Thermocouples react quicker than RTD's (from fractions of a second instead of 2-10seconds), but are less accurate (+-2% instead of 0.2%). Thermocouples also have larger temperature ranges.

FAQ: Which Type of Sensor is More Accurate: Thermocouple or RTD?

1. How is the accuracy of a thermometer determined?

The accuracy of a thermometer is determined by comparing its readings to a standardized reference thermometer at different temperatures. The difference between the readings of the two thermometers is then calculated, and this is known as the thermometer's accuracy.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of a thermometer?

The accuracy of a thermometer can be affected by various factors, such as the quality of the materials used to make the thermometer, the calibration process, and environmental conditions like humidity and altitude. Mechanical shock or mishandling of the thermometer can also affect its accuracy.

3. How often should a thermometer be calibrated for accurate readings?

It is recommended to calibrate a thermometer at least once a year or whenever there are significant changes in temperature readings. If a thermometer is used frequently or in critical applications, it may need to be calibrated more frequently.

4. Can a thermometer's accuracy be improved?

While the accuracy of a thermometer is determined by its design and construction, there are some steps that can be taken to improve its accuracy. These include proper calibration, regular maintenance, and using the thermometer according to the manufacturer's instructions.

5. How do different types of thermometers compare in terms of accuracy?

The accuracy of a thermometer can vary depending on its type. Generally, digital thermometers tend to have higher accuracy compared to analog thermometers. However, the accuracy of a thermometer ultimately depends on its design, calibration, and use.