Which W Boson Mediates e^- + ν_μ → μ^- + ν_e?

• Thread starter QuantumCosmo
  • Start date
In summary, the Feynman-diagramm for the scattering process e^- + \nu_{\mu} \rightarrow \mu^- + \nu_e via the weak interaction should include a W^± Boson, depending on the direction of momentum flow. The choice of W+ or W- is arbitrary and either one can be used in the diagram. The same principles apply to internal fermion lines as well.
QuantumCosmo
Hi,
lets say we have the scattering process [itex]e^- + \nu_{\mu} \rightarrow \mu^- + \nu_e[/itex] via the weak interaction. This would then be mediated by a W-Boson, right? Now my question ist: Which one?

The Feynman-Diagramm should then look like the one on the right:

http://accessscience.com/loadBinary.aspx?aID=9704&filename=450700FG0010.gif"

(in the line on top, one has to exchange [itex]e \rightarrow \mu[/itex]

I know that this diagramm actually represents two processes (which could be drawn as slightly "skewed" diagramms):
1) The electron emits a [itex]W^-[/itex] and thereby "changes" into an [itex]\nu_e[/itex]. This [itex]W^-[/itex] is then absorbed by the [itex]\nu_{\mu}[/itex] which therefore "changes into a [itex]\mu^-[/itex]
2) The [itex]\nu_{\mu}[/itex] emits a [itex]W^+[/itex] and changes into a [itex]\mu^-[/itex]. The [itex]W^-[/itex] is then absorbed by the [itex]e^-[/itex] and changes into a [itex]\nu_e[/itex]

So if I draw the Feynman-diagramm as in the link, is it ok to write [itex]W^+[/itex]? Because wouldn't that mean that the diagramm only represents option 2)? Or am I wrong to assume that [itex]W^+[/itex] and [itex]W^-[/itex] both have to do with the process and only one of the processes 1) and 2) is the "right" one?

I have a big exam in particle physics soon. If the professor asks me to draw the Feynman-diagramm for this process I simply wouldn't know what to write ( [itex]W^+[/itex], [itex]W^-[/itex] or maybe forget about the charge (just write [itex]W[/itex]) and hope the professor doesn't ask which of the W's it is?).

I know that my question is not very precise, so here is the short version:

What belongs in the diagramm?
a) W+
b) W-
c) simply W, because W+ and W- both have to do with the process
d) other

Thank you very much,
QuantumCosmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]W^+[/itex] and [itex]W^-[/itex] are related by a particle/anti-particle relationship, so for a virtual W, wether its charge positive or negative depends on how you implement conservation of momentum. You've perhaps heard the Feynman idea that an anti-particle is equivalent to a particle moving backwards in time? Have you studied charge conjugation symmetry?

What this means is that wether its a particle or anti-particle depends on which way you consider its momentum to be flowing. In the diagram you've drawn, the momentum of the internal W must be flowing towards the bottom node in the diagram for charge conservation to work.

If you want to draw a [itex]W^-[/itex], you also will reverse the direction of the four momentum. The two diagrams are completely equivalent, so ultimately it doesn't matter.

As a side note that may also be helpful, the same rules apply to internal fermion lines, but you just have to make sure that whatever you decide for a convention you keep it. I think the general rule is for internal fermions you draw the momentum lines in the same direction as the particle arrow on the propagator. This way all of your propagators are for the particle, not the anti-particle.

What belongs in the diagramm?

Label the line W±.

Related to Which W Boson Mediates e^- + ν_μ → μ^- + ν_e?

What is a Feynman Diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a pictorial representation of the mathematical expressions used in particle physics to describe the interactions between elementary particles. It is named after physicist Richard Feynman, who developed the concept.

What is the significance of W+ and W- in Feynman diagrams?

W+ and W- are two of the four fundamental particles that mediate the weak nuclear force, along with the Z boson and the photon. They are important in Feynman diagrams as they represent the exchange of these particles between other particles in interactions.

How do you read a Feynman diagram?

In a Feynman diagram, particles are represented by lines and interactions are represented by vertices. Time flows from left to right, and the vertical axis represents energy. Antiparticles are shown with an arrow pointing in the opposite direction. The more complex the diagram, the more particles and interactions are involved.

What is the purpose of using Feynman diagrams in particle physics?

Feynman diagrams are a powerful tool for calculating the probability of particle interactions. They allow scientists to visualize and track the complex interactions between particles, aiding in the understanding of the fundamental forces and particles of the universe.

Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams?

While Feynman diagrams are a useful tool in particle physics, they have limitations. They do not account for certain quantum effects, such as virtual particles, and they become increasingly complex as more particles and interactions are involved. Additionally, they do not represent the actual physical paths of particles, but rather the mathematical probabilities of interactions.