Which wall thickness gives half the stress

In summary: So the area is the same, but the cross sectional area is bigger?Yes, the cross sectional area is bigger.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

Young's Modulus, E=σ/ξ
Stress,σ =F/A
Strain, ξ=x/L

The Attempt at a Solution

As diameter and tension are constant, so stress must be constant I assume.. So for the same Young's modulus, if stress is halved, then strain must be halved too I guess. But I don't know what is the extension and length. Do we have to consider the increase in circumference?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your second equation in your list of relevant equations tell you? Do you really need to know the extension in length to answer this question? Do you really need to know the change in strain to answer this question? They already said in the problem statement that the circumference πD stays constant, right?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What does your second equation in your list of relevant equations tell you? Do you really need to know the extension in length to answer this question? Do you really need to know the change in strain to answer this question? They already said in the problem statement that the circumference πD stays constant, right?

Chet
F is directly proportional to A? Oh so if stress is halved, and for the same tension, area is halved right? But area of..? Is it the area of the thickness of the tube?

Janiceleong26 said:
F is directly proportional to A? Oh so if stress is halved, and for the same tension, area is halved right?
No. Try again, getting the math correct this time.

But area of..? Is it the area of the thickness of the tube?
The annular cross sectional area of the tube.

Chestermiller said:
No. Try again, getting the math correct this time.The annular cross sectional area of the tube.
Oh sorry, I mean area would double, not halved.
But I thought the diameter is the same?

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh sorry, I mean area would double, not halved.
But I thought the diameter is the same?
The diameter is the same, but the pipe is hollow and the wall thickness doubles. The cross sectional area is ##A = \pi D W##

Oh I see it now.. The annular cross sectional area of the tube is actually the area of a rectangle, if we cut the tube and straighten it out, right? Ok thanks !

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh I see it now.. The annular cross sectional area of the tube is actually the area of a rectangle, if we cut the tube and straighten it out, right? Ok thanks !
That's one way of looking at it. Another way is:

$$A=\frac{\pi D_{outer}^2}{4}-\frac{\pi D_{inner}^2}{4}=\pi \left(\frac{D_{outer}+D_{inner}}{2}\right)\left(\frac{D_{outer}-D_{inner}}{2}\right)=\pi D_{average}W$$

Likes Janiceleong26
Chestermiller said:
That's one way of looking at it. Another way is:

$$A=\frac{\pi D_{outer}^2}{4}-\frac{\pi D_{inner}^2}{4}=\pi \left(\frac{D_{outer}+D_{inner}}{2}\right)\left(\frac{D_{outer}-D_{inner}}{2}\right)=\pi D_{average}W$$
Ohh thanks!

Related to Which wall thickness gives half the stress

1. What is the relationship between wall thickness and stress?

The relationship between wall thickness and stress is inverse, meaning that as wall thickness increases, stress decreases. This is because a thicker wall can withstand more force and distribute it over a larger area, resulting in lower stress.

2. How does changing the wall thickness affect stress?

Changing the wall thickness can significantly impact stress. A thicker wall will reduce stress, while a thinner wall will increase stress. This is why it is essential to carefully consider the wall thickness when designing structures or objects that will be under stress.

3. Is there an optimal wall thickness for reducing stress?

Yes, there is an optimal wall thickness for reducing stress. This will vary depending on the material and the type of stress applied. It is crucial to consult with a materials engineer or conduct stress analysis to determine the best wall thickness for a specific application.

4. Can wall thickness be the only factor affecting stress?

No, wall thickness is not the only factor affecting stress. Other factors such as the material's strength, the type of stress applied, and the geometry of the structure or object also play a significant role in determining stress levels.

5. How can I calculate the appropriate wall thickness for a given stress level?

To calculate the appropriate wall thickness for a given stress level, you will need to use stress analysis techniques and consult with a materials engineer. They can help determine the required thickness based on the material's properties and the type of stress applied.