While I was reading an article about diffraction of light on

In summary, the article discusses the formalism of the angular position of the first minima in diffraction of light. The assumption that the light from a source at the top edge of the slit interferes destructively with a source at the middle of the slit is represented by the equation dsinθ=λ (1). The conversation then raises the question of whether assuming constructive interference would result in a different equation, but it is explained that the path difference between the two sources can vary and thus the equation must be formulated as dsinβ=3λ/2. This differs from the equation used in Young's experiment due to the different assumptions about interference.
peterpang1994
While I was reading an article about diffraction of light on Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction), I had some doubts about it.

On the formalism of the angular position of the first minima, it assumes that the light from a source located at the top edge of the slit interferes destructively with a source located at the middle of the slit, when the path difference between them is equal to λ/2. Similarly, the source just below the top of the slit will interfere destructively with the source located just below the middle of the slit at the same angle. Therefore, (d/2)sinθ=λ/2, dsinθ=λ (1), where θ is the angular position of the first minima.

I wonder if I changed the assumption to assumes that the light from a source located at the top edge of the slit interferes CONSTRUCTIVELY with a source located at the middle of the slit, when the path difference between them is equal to λ/.I will get dsinβ=2λ (2), where β is the angular position of the first maxima. I know that equation (2) is wrong, the correct equation should be dsinβ=3λ/2. My question is why we can't formulate the equation as straight forward as we did in formulating the equation for the interference pattern formed in Young's experiment.

Any reply would be great!

Science news on Phys.org
When you assume constructive interference for the light from the top edge of the slit and the middle of the slit, the path difference between them is not only λ/2, but also λ. This means that the path difference between them can also be 3λ/2, and this is why the equation for the first maxima has to be formulated as dsinβ=3λ/2. In Young's experiment, the assumption is that the sources located at the top and bottom of the slit interfere destructively, so the path difference between them is always λ/2 and thus the equation can be formulated as dsinθ=λ/2.

Related to While I was reading an article about diffraction of light on

1. What is diffraction of light?

Diffraction of light is the bending and spreading of light waves as they pass through a small opening or around an obstacle. This phenomenon is due to the wave nature of light and can be observed in everyday situations, such as when light passes through a narrow slit or when you see a rainbow.

2. How does diffraction of light occur?

Diffraction of light occurs when a light wave encounters an obstacle or a slit that is comparable in size to the wavelength of the light. The wave is unable to travel in a straight line and is instead bent and spread out in different directions.

3. What is the significance of diffraction of light in science?

Diffraction of light has many practical applications in science and technology. It is used in fields such as optics, astronomy, and microscopy to study the properties of light and to create precise measurements and images. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of devices like lasers and optical sensors.

4. Can diffraction of light be observed in everyday life?

Yes, diffraction of light can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you see the colors of a rainbow or when light passes through a CD or DVD, you are witnessing the diffraction of light. It is also the reason why you can hear someone's voice even if they are behind a wall or a door.

5. How does the diffraction of light affect our perception of objects?

The diffraction of light can affect our perception of objects in various ways. For instance, it can cause the edges of objects to appear blurred or distorted, as the light waves are bent as they pass around the edges. In some cases, diffraction of light can also create diffraction patterns, which can be used to study the structure and properties of objects.