Who Are Your All-Time Favorite Composers?

• Thread starter Jow
  • Start date
In summary, Beethoven, Schubert, and Tchaikovsky are three of my favourite composers. Bach is also a great composer, but I think my favourites have to be those three.
Jow
I am in high school and I just recently finished my sixteenth trip around the sun. While listening to music the other day I started to think about how very little I care for the music my peers listen to. So, I decided to start thinking about my favourite composers. I think my favourites have to be Beethoven, Schubert and Tchaikovsky.

Who are your favourite composers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bach is my favorite, hands-down. I like the mathematical precision of his work, including the restatements and inversions.

Debussy, Chopin, Ravel.

I started listening to classical music around age 16 myself. Now I have to keep track of my collection with a database. My Top 10 composers according to total length of recordings are... cue mysql...

Sibelius
Beethoven
Haydn
Bach
Mozart
Nielsen
Brahms
Grieg
Mahler
Wagner

Wagner's position is boosted artificially by the sheer length of his operas, so let's add the next entry:

Dvorak

Schubert and Tchaikovsky are in my second ten.

for more modern music I like:

Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan and the Beatles not necessarily in that order.

jedishrfu said:
for more modern music I like:

Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan and the Beatles not necessarily in that order.

Yeah Bob Dylan!

Jow said:
I am in high school and I just recently finished my sixteenth trip around the sun. While listening to music the other day I started to think about how very little I care for the music my peers listen to. So, I decided to start thinking about my favourite composers. I think my favourites have to be Beethoven, Schubert and Tchaikovsky.

Who are your favourite composers?

Ludwig van, Wolfgang Gottlieb. No surprises here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/magischmeisjeorkest/videos?flow=grid&view=1 Decent selection for getting your feet wet. All the composers listed are linked from the above page. There are more composers listed in the channel.

Felix Mendelssohn continues to resonate with me. Current favorite.

Everyone knows:
Mozart
Bach
Beethoven

Friend Recommeneded:
Rachmaninoff
Tchaikovsky

Went Exploring a little deeper:
Sibelius
Stravinsky
Haydn
DeBussy

I was really big into Claude Debussy for a while. Then I shifted to Jean Sibelius. I guess who I listen to really depends on what I am doing or the mood I'm in.

Does anyone have any classical music youtube channel recommendations?

All time favorite: Johann Sebastian Bach. Then Purcell, Vivaldi, Haendel, Rameau, Lully and Mozart.

Related to Who Are Your All-Time Favorite Composers?

1. Who is considered the greatest composer of all time?

The answer to this question is highly subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. Some may argue that Ludwig van Beethoven, Johann Sebastian Bach, or Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart are the greatest composers, while others may have different favorites. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.

2. What makes a composer great?

There are many factors that can contribute to a composer being considered great, such as their technical skill, innovation, impact on music history, and the enduring popularity and influence of their works. Great composers also often have a unique and recognizable style that sets them apart from others.

3. Who is your favorite composer?

As a scientist, I do not have personal favorites as my role is to study and analyze music objectively. However, I do appreciate the works of many composers and find inspiration in their creations.

4. Are there any female composers who are considered great?

Yes, there have been many female composers throughout history who have made significant contributions to music. Some notable examples include Hildegard von Bingen, Clara Schumann, and Fanny Mendelssohn. However, due to societal and gender biases, their works have often been overlooked or attributed to male composers.

5. Can a composer be considered great if they only wrote one famous piece?

While a composer's body of work is often taken into consideration when determining their greatness, it is possible for a composer to be remembered and celebrated for a single famous piece. For example, Antonio Vivaldi is primarily known for his composition "The Four Seasons," but this does not diminish his impact as a great composer. Quality and impact of a composition can often outweigh quantity in determining greatness.