Who discovered the cause of a red moon?

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause Moon
In summary, Lord Rayleigh, also known as John Strutt, contributed to understanding the reason behind the red glow of the moon during a total eclipse. He made the connection between Rayleigh scattering and eclipses through his papers published in 1871, 1881, and 1899. Although there may not have been a specific publication that explicitly made this connection, Strutt's work on understanding the blue color of the sky and the role of air molecules in scattering shorter wavelengths laid the foundation for this insight.
Opus_723
The moon often glows red during a total eclipse because light from Earth's atmosphere is refracted into the Earth's umbra, and Rayleigh scattering filters out blue wavelengths. Who first came up with this idea and how? I'd love to know the history behind that insight.

Likes atyy
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lord Rayleigh contributed to understanding
  1. John Strutt (1871) "On the light from the sky, its polarization and colour," Philosophical Magazine, series 4, vol.41, pages 107-120, 274-279.
  2. John Strutt (1871) "On the scattering of light by small particles," Philosophical Magazine, series 4, vol. 41, pages 447-454.
  3. John Strutt (1881) "On the electromagnetic theory of light," Philosophical Magazine, series 5, vol. 12, pages 81-101.
  4. John Strutt (1899) "On the transmission of light through an atmosphere containing small particles in suspension, and on the origin of the blue of the sky," Philosophical Magazine, series 5, vol. 47, pages 375-394.

Likes praveena and atyy
Opus_723 said:
The moon often glows red during a total eclipse because light from Earth's atmosphere is refracted into the Earth's umbra, and Rayleigh scattering filters out blue wavelengths. Who first came up with this idea and how? I'd love to know the history behind that insight.

that is a nice question, Opus. John Strut = Lord Rayleigh. As you indicate, he figured out why the sky is blue. ("Rayleigh scattering")

Because the size of air molecules make them more effective at scattering shorter wavelengths like green and blue. So given that understanding
it is not such a big jump to see that light that had passed thru the atmosphere and been refracted onto the eclipsed moon would be reddish.

People already knew about refraction (e.g. by air) when Strut was working.

Likes atyy
Thanks for those references, I'll start digging into them! What I'm really looking for, though, is the first publication where someone made the explicit connection between Rayleigh scattering and eclipses. Perhaps this is as close as it gets, and there wasn't really an "aha!" publication about it, but rather behind the scenes discussions. I was just curious if any definite history about the discovery had been preserved.

Thanks for pointing me to John Strutt's papers, though. I'm excited to read them!

Related to Who discovered the cause of a red moon?

1. Who is credited with discovering the cause of a red moon?

The phenomenon of a red moon has been observed for centuries, so it is difficult to pinpoint one specific person as the sole discoverer. However, many ancient civilizations, such as the Greeks, Romans, and Chinese, have documented their observations and explanations for the red moon.

2. When was the cause of a red moon first discovered?

As mentioned before, the cause of a red moon has been observed and explained by different civilizations throughout history. The earliest documentation of a red moon can be traced back to the ancient Greeks, around 500 BC.

3. How did ancient civilizations explain the cause of a red moon?

Ancient civilizations had various explanations for the cause of a red moon, ranging from supernatural beliefs to scientific theories. The Greeks believed it was a sign of impending war, while the Romans thought it was a sign of the goddess of the moon being angry. Some Chinese cultures believed it was caused by a celestial dragon consuming the moon.

4. Who first proposed a scientific explanation for the cause of a red moon?

In the 4th century BC, Greek philosopher and scientist Aristotle proposed a scientific explanation for the red moon. He believed that the Earth's shadow was responsible for the reddish hue during a lunar eclipse.

5. How do we know the actual cause of a red moon today?

Thanks to advancements in technology and space exploration, we now know that the actual cause of a red moon is due to the Earth's atmosphere. During a lunar eclipse, the Earth's atmosphere filters out most of the blue light, leaving only red light to reach the moon and create the reddish hue we see.