Who is the top physicist skeptical of gravitons?

• Thread starter Quantum Bum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graviton
In summary, it is difficult to determine who the leading physicist is that does not believe in gravitons because there are various different theories and approaches to quantum gravity. However, Newton could be considered a leading physicist in this area. It is also worth noting that we do have a theory of quantum gravity, called effective field theory, which includes the concept of gravitons.
Quantum Bum
Who would you say is the leading physicist, if any, who does not believe in gravitons?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't have a real theory of quantum gravity yet, so people are not sure. But it's an interesting question. Share it with us if you found the answer.

Quantum Bum said:
Who would you say is the leading physicist, if any, who does not believe in gravitons?
I would say he/she is leading in something that has not much to do with gravitons.

Quantum Bum said:

Newton.

There are other physicists who don't believe in gravitons but he is probably the leading one.

I don't think any of the popular approaches to quantum gravity specifically say the energy of gravitational waves is not quantized (the basic definition of a "graviton", see the last section here), though some may not be developed to the point where they can model gravitational waves. Anyone know of any non-crankish approaches to quantum gravity which actually rule out gravitons?

unusualname said:
Newton.

There are other physicists who don't believe in gravitons but he is probably the leading one.

I am certain that quantum mechanics appeared recently (compared to Newtons time) i.e wave /particle duality. So it's a little far fetched to mention Newton.Also I assume that by 'leading' OP means of the current ,modern age.I apologize if I am mistaken. Regards,
ibysaiyan

We do have a very good theory of quantum gravity, it's called effective field theory. And it has gravitons.

Whatever happens at high energy makes no difference to low energy physics. This is why can describe the world very well without knowing the real fundamental degrees of freedom.

Pion QCD for example is the same. It is not renormalizable, but we can use it as an effective field theory to make accurate predictions about QCD.

Related to Who is the top physicist skeptical of gravitons?

1. What is a "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)?"

A "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)" is a hypothetical concept in physics that suggests the existence of a particle called a graviton, which is responsible for the force of gravity in the universe. It is currently a topic of debate and skepticism among scientists.

2. How does the concept of a "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)" challenge our understanding of gravity?

The concept of a "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)" challenges our understanding of gravity by suggesting that it is not a continuous force, but rather is made up of individual particles. This goes against the traditional understanding of gravity as a continuous and infinite force.

3. Is there any evidence to support the existence of a "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)?"

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the existence of a "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)." However, some theories in quantum mechanics and general relativity suggest that the existence of such a particle could help reconcile the two theories and provide a more complete understanding of the universe.

4. What challenges do scientists face in studying the concept of a "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)?"

One of the main challenges in studying the concept of a "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)" is the difficulty in detecting and measuring such a small and elusive particle. Additionally, the concept itself is still largely theoretical and unproven, making it a controversial and challenging topic to explore.

5. What are some alternative explanations for the force of gravity if the "Graviton Disbelief (Leader)" does not exist?

One alternative explanation for gravity is the theory of general relativity, which suggests that gravity is the result of the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. Other theories propose that gravity is a result of interactions between particles such as the Higgs boson. However, these theories also have their own limitations and open questions.