Who said Fidget Spinners were boring?

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various physics concepts demonstrated by fidget spinner tricks, such as gyroscopic action and angular momentum. The speakers also expressed their frustration with videos that make these tricks look easier than they actually are and mentioned the potential of fidget spinning becoming an Olympic sport.
Fidget spinner tricks illustrate several physics concepts most notably gyroscopic action.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ugh, I hate those videos where they make an obvious feat of skill look easy thanks to the magical feature of showing only the successful recordings. Like when they throw a ninja spinner, as if its nature somewhat makes it hit the target automatically.
Reminds me of those archery videos by that Lars Andersen guy.What I liked about the video, was how it showed quite well how much angular momentum can be stored in the toy (when they used compressed air to spin it up). It had no problem breaking a bottle, or dispersing a set of bowling pins.

Bandersnatch said:
Ugh, I hate those videos where they make an obvious feat of skill look easy thanks to the magical feature of showing only the successful recordings. Like when they throw a ninja spinner, as if its nature somewhat makes it hit the target automatically.
Reminds me of those archery videos by that Lars Andersen guy.What I liked about the video, was how it showed quite well how much angular momentum can be stored in the toy (when they used compressed air to spin it up). It had no problem breaking a bottle, or dispersing a set of bowling pins.

Yeah that was my feeling too. P-hacking your video data to make it look easy. I liked the one where they bounced the spinner on top of a basketball and it maintained its orientation.

Likes BillTre
jedishrfu said:
P-hacking
Speaking of which

Likes 256bits, dlgoff and jedishrfu
Meh, I'll keep my fidget cube.

Likes jedishrfu
What can I say.
Olympic sport potential.
Go for Gold in Fidget Spinner.

Related to Who said Fidget Spinners were boring?

1. What are fidget spinners?

Fidget spinners are small, handheld toys that have three prongs attached to a central bearing. They are designed to spin around a central axis, providing a satisfying sensory experience for users.

2. Who invented fidget spinners?

Catherine Hettinger, a chemical engineer, is credited with inventing the first fidget spinner in the early 1990s. However, the toy did not gain popularity until 2017.

3. Why do some people find fidget spinners boring?

Some people may find fidget spinners boring because they do not personally enjoy the sensory experience they provide. Additionally, the novelty of the toy may have worn off for some individuals.

4. Are fidget spinners beneficial for people with ADHD or anxiety?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that fidget spinners are beneficial for people with ADHD or anxiety. Some studies have shown that fidgeting can help improve focus, but it is not specific to fidget spinners and may not work for everyone.

5. Can fidget spinners be dangerous?

There have been reports of fidget spinners breaking and posing a choking hazard, especially for young children. It is important to always supervise children while they are playing with fidget spinners and to check for any signs of wear and tear on the toy.