Who Was John D. Barrow?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, respected physicist, mathematician, author, and polymath John Barrow has passed away at the age of 67. He was known for his contributions to cosmology and his thought-provoking writings on various subjects. Only one news outlet, the Italian Il Messagero, has reported on his passing. His Twitter page indirectly confirms the news. Barrow's books, such as "Pi in the Sky: Counting, thinking and being" and "The World Within The World", have impacted many readers and will continue to be remembered.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
just passing this on, strangely, it doesn't state the author

"My heart is filled with sorrow as I find myself having to pass on some very sad news.
I have just heard of the death, yesterday, at the age of 67, of esteemed physicist, mathematician, author and polymath John Barrow.
With his passing, one of cosmology’s brightest lights has gone out. "

read the full text here ...

https://telescoper.wordpress.com/20...ZEAMtbyRCcrfLGHaUKjpuYmbWPSkaDII26C5KbJlgIyN4
regards
Dave

• Sad
Likes atyy and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
Strange that the only news outlet currently reporting this appears to be the Italian Il Messagero:
That's the only one I see, also. . .
1601286660841.png

davenn said:
just passing this on, strangely, it doesn't state the author
Actually, it does, indirectly. It has a link to his Twitter page. Peter Coles .

Likes davenn and atyy
o
phinds said:
Actually, it does, indirectly. It has a link to his Twitter page. Peter Coles .
Ohh, I looked and looked didnt see that ... thanks :)

John Barrow, more than any other author, got to think deeply. I have several of his books, and I just dug out my copy of "Pi in the Sky: Counting, thinking and being", which I see that I purchased in September 1994.

Likes davenn
I read random bits of Barrow's The World Within The World around 1990 when I was in high school. I knew I'd read a John Barrow book, but didn't remember its title, so had to google his books and recognized it by its cover.

Likes davenn

FAQ: Who Was John D. Barrow?

1. Who was John D Barrow?

John D Barrow was a British cosmologist, theoretical physicist, and mathematician. He was a professor of mathematical sciences at the University of Cambridge and the director of the Millennium Mathematics Project.

2. What are some of John D Barrow's contributions to science?

John D Barrow made significant contributions to the fields of cosmology, physics, and mathematics. He published over 500 scientific papers and wrote more than 20 popular science books. He is best known for his work on the anthropic principle, the fine-tuning of the universe, and the nature of time.

3. When did John D Barrow pass away?

John D Barrow passed away on September 26, 2020, at the age of 68.

4. How did John D Barrow's work impact the scientific community?

John D Barrow's work had a significant impact on the scientific community. He was highly respected for his contributions to cosmology and theoretical physics. His work on the anthropic principle and the fine-tuning of the universe sparked important discussions and debates among scientists.

5. What is John D Barrow's legacy in the scientific world?

John D Barrow's legacy in the scientific world is a lasting one. He was a brilliant mind and a prolific writer, inspiring many with his passion for science and mathematics. He will be remembered for his groundbreaking contributions to our understanding of the universe and his ability to communicate complex ideas to a wider audience.