Why a E field cannot hold a charge in space?

In summary, a stable equilibrium point for a charged particle in an electric field requires the potential to be either higher or lower than all neighboring points. However, this contradicts Gauss's law, as there is no negative charge inside the sphere surrounding the point, resulting in an electric field pointing inward. This also means that the gradient of the potential must be zero at the point, indicating a local maximum or minimum. The sphere completely surrounds the point and the problem is about the electric field inside a region of space, not the charge at the point.
Buffu
From the book,

You can't construct an electrostatic field that will hold a charged particle in vacuum.

Justification :
Suppose we have electric field in which there exist a point P ar which a +ve charged particle would be in stable equilibrium. That means that any small displacement of the particle from P must bring it to a place where an electric field acts to push it back toward P. But that means that a little sphere around P must have E pointing inward everywhere on its surface. That contradicts Gauss' law , for there is no -ve charge in the sphere. In other words you can't have have an empty region where electric field points all outward or inward which is needed for stable equilibrium.

In terms or electric potential, a stable position for a charged particle must be where the potential is either lower than that at all neighbouring points or higher than that at all neighbouring points. Clearly neither is possible as potential is a function whose average value over a sphere is always equal to its value at the centre.
I did not understand,
1. Why does fields coming inwards the sphere contradicts the Gauss law ?
2. I am unable to connect the potential picture and electric field picture. Why does the point P must have lowest or highest potential than neighbouring particles ?

3. I understand the fact that "potential is a function whose average value over a sphere is always equal to its value at the centre". It is because of Laplace's equation but I don't understand how this is connected here. In potential picture there is no sphere after all right ?

For the first question, I think it contracdicts the Gauss law because there is a +ve inside the sphere or the field lines should be outward not inward, which results in -ve flux instead of +ve flux. Am I correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
From the book,
Which book?

Nugatory said:
Which book?
Purcell 2nd edition.

Buffu said:
1. Why does fields coming inwards the sphere contradicts the Gauss law ?
2. I am unable to connect the potential picture and electric field picture. Why does the point P must have lowest or highest potential than neighbouring particles ?
For the first question, I think it contracdicts the Gauss law because there is a +ve inside the sphere or the field lines should be outward not inward, which results in -ve flux instead of +ve flux. Am I correct ?
You are not quite correct. Remember, an electric field is defined by asking what would happen to a test particle placed in the field, but the field is there whether there's a test particle or not. Thus, the text isn't saying that there is a positive charge, it is considering whether there could be an electric field that would push a positively charged test particle to the center if we were to place one there. Such a field would clearly violate Gauss's law because there isn't any charge at all inside the sphere, so no way for there to be a non-zero flex across the surface of the sphere.

For the second question: Take a moment to review the relationship between the electric field and the potential, and the definition of the gradient.

If the particle is stable at the point P, that means that there is no net force on a particle at point P, which means that the electric field there is zero. But the electric field is the gradient of the potential, so that means that the gradient of potential must be zero at that point... And the gradient can only be zero at a local maximum or a local minimum.

Likes Buffu
Nugatory said:
You are not quite correct. Remember, an electric field is defined by asking what would happen to a test particle placed in the field, but the field is there whether there's a test particle or not. Thus, the text isn't saying that there is a positive charge, it is considering whether there could be an electric field that would push a positively charged test particle to the center if we were to place one there. Such a field would clearly violate Gauss's law because there isn't any charge at all inside the sphere, so no way for there to be a non-zero flex across the surface of the sphere.

For the second question: Take a moment to review the relationship between the electric field and the potential, and the definition of the gradient.

If the particle is stable at the point P, that means that there is no net force on a particle at point P, which means that the electric field there is zero. But the electric field is the gradient of the potential, so that means that the gradient of potential must be zero at that point... And the gradient can only be zero at a local maximum or a local minimum.

So the sphere is not covering our charge at P instead it is close to it. right ?

Buffu said:
So the sphere is not covering our charge at P instead it is close to it. right ?
Not right. The sphere completely surrounds the point P. But there is no charge at P in the problem; this is a question about the electrical field inside a region of space and whether that field violates Gauss's law.

Likes GAURAV DADWAL
Yes I understand now. Thanks.

Related to Why a E field cannot hold a charge in space?

1. Why can't an E field hold a charge in space?

An E field, or electric field, is a region in which an electrically charged particle experiences a force. However, in space, there are no particles to create or interact with an E field, so it cannot hold a charge.

2. Can't the E field of a charged object in space hold a charge?

No, an E field is created by the presence of charged particles, so without any particles, there can be no E field to hold a charge.

3. How does this relate to the concept of electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an E field. In space, where there are no particles, there is no potential energy and thus no electric potential.

4. If there are no particles in space, how can there be an E field at all?

An E field can exist in space due to the presence of electromagnetic radiation, such as light or radio waves. These waves have an oscillating electric field component, even though they do not have particles.

5. Is it possible to have an E field in a vacuum?

Yes, an E field can exist in a vacuum, as long as there is some form of electromagnetic radiation present. However, without any charged particles, the E field cannot hold a charge or have any significant effect.