Why am I having trouble posting on this website?

• Thread starter Studiot
  • Start date
In summary, I am experiencing difficulties posting into the reply box. The symptoms are that clicking, typing etc into the white box has no effect. Sometimes it becomes possible to type after 30 - 120 seconds wait, sometimes not. There is a yellow triangle with a black exclaimation at the bottom left and a message sometimes flashes up, too briefly to read fully, at the PF window top, saying something about mathjax and errors. There is also a message that says '
Studiot
Posting difficulties.

I have been experiencing difficulties posting into the reply box for about 10 days to a fortnight.

The symptoms are that clicking, typing etc into the white box has no effect. Sometimes it becomes possible to type after 30 - 120 seconds wait, sometimes not.

There is a yellow triangle with a black exclaimation at the bottom left and a message sometimes flashes up, too briefly to read fully, at the PF window top, saying something about mathjax and errors.

There we go I can't click into the title field to post a title. Had to refresh the page and re enter this to post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Studiot said:
There is a yellow triangle with a black exclaimation at the bottom left and a message sometimes flashes up, too briefly to read fully, at the PF window top, saying something about mathjax and errors.

Can you post the exact errors and what browser you are using?

The error? message is to quick for me to catch fully.

Browser is IE8.

Studiot said:
The error? message is to quick for me to catch fully.

Browser is IE8.

There should be some error reporting somewhere. anyone know? IE8 should be fine too.

I will try to get a screenshot next time it happens.

This is a different error I haven't seen before.

Attachments

• error11.jpg
    error11.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 381
Do you have any javascript restrictions? looks like IE is blocking the script.

Nothing has changed at my end and it worked before.

Studiot said:
Nothing has changed at my end and it worked before.

the new latex processor worked before?

You should be able to click on the the little /!\ icon and pull up the error. Failing that, what I tend to do is open it in FF. If FF has the same error, I can open Firebug and view the error at my leisure.

But even in IE, what you want to do is, once you get one of those errors, right click on the page, select 'view source' and copy the entire code to an editor to save. That way, we can examine the code generated and look for the error.

Though I notice that the error you linked to says 'line 1'. That usually means there's an error in a one-liner block of JavaScript somewhere on the page (the line 1 does not refer to a line number of HTML, it refers to a line # in a particular block of JavaScript, of which there could be many on the page - often under 'onclick' or 'onmouseup' events of objects).

Last edited:
Studiot said:
Browser is IE8.

You call it a browser?

[URL]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/faint.gif[/URL]

Ah perhaps you mean "IE is a program to browse web content from you PC, and vice versa" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it

Look along just under the top grey explorer frame.

And thank you all (especially GB - good initials what!) for taking an interest.

Dave, I have found out that the orror box I posted before is what comes up on clicking the yellow triangle, but you have to double click.

Borek, IE is upgraded as far as possible in XP.

Attachments

• error12.jpg
    error12.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 345
Studiot your access denied error still makes me think it's a security problem on your end.

The brief message says

File failed to load...

and refers to a mathjax file.

Well there is whatever limitations the ISP (Orange) enforces

The router firewall

XPpro firewall

Avastpro antivirus ( I do not have Internet Security)

And IE security settings.

Are there any changes that need to be made to IE security, add-ons or whatever?

I too amd running Internet Exploder 8 but I do not get that error. See if scripting is disabled.

Studiot said:
Borek, IE is upgraded as far as possible in XP.

IMHO (but that's not only mine opinion) it doesn't make it much better. Sadly. I have FireFox, Chrome and Opera installed - neither is perfect, but I prefer them all over IE. The only reason I occasionally have to use IE is that some web sites are tested only with IE. Sometimes that means website is bugged but it accidentally works with IE, while it should not work at all.

Active Scripting - En
Clipboard access – prompt
Status bar updates – dis
Websites prompt in scripted windows – dis
XSSfilter – en
Scripting of java applets - en

Borek, some aspects of Windows and Windows Update can only be implemented in IE.

Studiot said:
Borek, some aspects of Windows and Windows Update can only be implemented in IE.

Regardless, MathJax should work fine in IE8

When I finish delousing this other computer I am just working on I will try out PF on that one.

It has a different setup -Vista + IE9

Studiot said:

Yes, but it doesn't force us to use IE exclusively.

Also I don't see this problem with several other V-Bulletin forums I visit - none use mathjax as far as I am aware.

Related to Why am I having trouble posting on this website?

1. Why does my post keep getting rejected on this website?

There could be several reasons why your post is being rejected. It could be that your post is not following the website's guidelines or community standards. It could also be that your post contains inappropriate content or language. Another possibility is that there is a technical issue with the website that is preventing your post from being published.

2. I have been trying to post for hours, but it keeps saying "error". What should I do?

If you are experiencing an error message while trying to post, there may be a technical issue with the website. Try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the problem persists, you can contact the website's technical support team for assistance.

3. I am able to post on other websites, so why am I having trouble posting here?

Each website has its own set of guidelines and standards for posting content. It is possible that the content you are trying to post does not align with the guidelines of this particular website. Make sure to review the website's guidelines before posting.

4. How can I ensure that my posts get approved on this website?

Make sure to carefully read and follow the website's guidelines for posting. It is also important to use appropriate language and refrain from posting any offensive or inappropriate content. If you are still having trouble getting your posts approved, you can reach out to the moderators or community managers for guidance.

5. Is there a limit to how many times I can post on this website?

Most websites do not have a limit on the number of posts you can make. However, if you are repeatedly posting the same content or spamming the website, your posts may be rejected or your account may be suspended. It is important to follow the website's guidelines and use good judgement when posting.