Why Am I Struggling with This Nucleophilic Reaction Problem?

• Thread starter Natalie456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the order of carbocation stability is SN1, SN2, and then no reaction. It is more likely that an SN1 will occur at the bridgehead rather than an SN2.
Natalie456
I have attempted this problem several times, but I keep on getting an incorrect answer. I have tried mostly substitution reactions (SN1 and SN2) on the top bromine atom, and I know that a double bond cannot be formed at the bridgehead. Any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 10.59.56 PM.png

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the order of carbocation stability?

Also, given the geometry of the problem, is SN1 or SN2 more likely?

Would SN2 be more likely? I tried a substitution at the top bromine atom with the nucleophile -CN, but it was incorrect. I'm not sure where to go from there. For SN1, the carbocation at the top would be disubstituted. I'm assuming that the bromine at the bridgehead doesn't participate in any reactions.

Natalie456 said:
I'm assuming that the bromine at the bridgehead doesn't participate in any reactions.
Why not?

Natalie456 said:
Would SN2 be more likely?
Geometrically, does it look like a nucleophile will be able to attack the backside of either of the halogenated carbons?

Likes Natalie456
I guess, geometrically, it doesn't look like it will be able to attack either from the backside. So it would be an SN1, then? Also, I thought there could be no reaction at the bridgehead because it cannot be planar, or it is too unstable. Is this correct?

I got it! Thank you so much for helping me reason through it!

Likes TeethWhitener
Natalie456 said:
Also, I thought there could be no reaction at the bridgehead because it cannot be planar, or it is too unstable. Is this correct?
Yes, that sounds right. Ignore where I was going before with that.

Natalie456 said:
I guess, geometrically, it doesn't look like it will be able to attack either from the backside. So it would be an SN1, then?
This would be my guess.

Natalie456 said:
I got it! Thank you so much for helping me reason through it!
Well, now I've thoroughly confused myself. Was it an Sn1 on the non-bridgehead? I need more caffeine.

Oh. Sorry. It was an Sn1 on the non-bridgehead!

Likes TeethWhitener

Related to Why Am I Struggling with This Nucleophilic Reaction Problem?

1. What is a nucleophilic reaction?

A nucleophilic reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which a nucleophile, a species with an electron-rich atom or functional group, attacks and forms a bond with an electron-deficient atom or functional group, known as an electrophile.

2. What are some common examples of nucleophilic reactions?

Some common examples of nucleophilic reactions include nucleophilic substitution, nucleophilic addition, and nucleophilic acyl substitution. These reactions are commonly used in organic chemistry to form new bonds and create new molecules.

3. How do you identify a nucleophile in a reaction?

Nucleophiles can be identified by examining their electronic structure. They typically have a lone pair of electrons on an electronegative atom, making them attracted to positively charged or electron-deficient atoms in a reaction.

4. What factors influence the rate of a nucleophilic reaction?

The rate of a nucleophilic reaction is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the nucleophile, the electrophile, and the leaving group. The solvent and reaction conditions can also play a role in determining the rate of the reaction.

5. How are nucleophilic reactions important in biological systems?

Nucleophilic reactions play a crucial role in biological systems, as they are responsible for many important processes such as DNA replication, protein synthesis, and enzyme catalysis. These reactions help to form and break chemical bonds in biological molecules, allowing for the proper functioning of living organisms.