Why ampare is fundamental unt in S.I rather than charge

In summary, ampare is considered fundamental in the International System of Units (SI) because it is a measure of the force between two electrically charged particles. Charge, on the other hand, is a derived unit that is dependent on the fundamental unit of ampare. This means that charge cannot be measured without first measuring ampare. Therefore, ampare is considered a more fundamental unit in the SI system. Additionally, ampare is used in a wide range of scientific and technological applications, making it a crucial unit of measurement in the modern world.
physical2
hii

i have a problem that why ampare{unit of current} is fundamental unit, ampare is

I=Q/t

and it is drived.while electric charge is not a drived unit and it also measured by millican mattod.and if we place coulomb{unit of electric charge} as fundamental unit in place of ampare{unit of current} definition of charge and its unit "coulomb" change OR not.please tell
me as soon as possible because i want to complete my assignment.

in short i seems that charge is a fundamental quantity in S.I than current,so why coulomb is not a fundamental unit rather than ampare.PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE.HELP ME

Physics news on Phys.org
physical2 said:
hii

i have a problem that why ampare{unit of current} is fundamental unit, ampare is

I=Q/t

and it is drived.while electric charge is not a drived unit and it also measured by millican mattod.and if we place coulomb{unit of electric charge} as fundamental unit in place of ampare{unit of current} definition of charge and its unit "coulomb" change OR not.please tell
me as soon as possible because i want to complete my assignment.

in short i seems that charge is a fundamental quantity in S.I than current,so why coulomb is not a fundamental unit rather than ampare.PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE.HELP ME

Perhaps this link will help you?
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/ampere.html

hii

i think i could not explain my question .my original question is why coulamb is not a fundamental unt.and why ampare is a fundamental unit.while i seem that ampare{unit of current} is drived from coulamb{unit of charge}

No, as lowlypion described the ampere is derived from fundamental units (mass,length,time).
The coloumb is derived from the ampere - a current of 1A flowing for 1 second.
If the coloumb was the base unit, how would it be defined?

Last edited:
It's easier to measure the force between two wires, than the force between two charges. From the point of view of theory, it makes no difference if the base unit is current or charge.

There is also this observation about the fallout of Coulombs becoming a standard:
Wikipedia said:
In principle, the coulomb could be defined in terms of the charge of an electron or elementary charge. ... Combined with the present definition of the ampere, this proposed definition would make the kilogram a derived unit.

a better question is why is either one considered fundamental? both CAN be defined in terms of more fundamental dimensions but you need fractional exponents. physicists don't like fractional exponents so they added another 'fundamental' dimension to get rid of it.

thats what I read a long time ago and I fully believe it but I couldn't find anything on google about it so don't ask me to prove it. I have no idea how it was derived.

granpa said:
a better question is why is either one considered fundamental? both CAN be defined in terms of more fundamental dimensions but you need fractional exponents. physicists don't like fractional exponents so they added another 'fundamental' dimension to get rid of it.

thats what I read a long time ago and I fully believe it but I couldn't find anything on google about it so don't ask me to prove it. I have no idea how it was derived.

The point I think is to have a practically manageable set of basic units which unify the physical sciences and their application in society, not muck it up through minimization using complicated calculations derived from as few units as possible.

Current is electron flux and relates fundamentally to Magnetism through the Maxwell relationships and is the more easily measured. Since a Coulomb of electrons doesn't fit conveniently in a beaker or sit easily on a scale, but a coulomb in flux does yield more easily measurable effects, it seems to make better sense to then just ... stay current.

LowlyPion said:
Current is electron flux and relates fundamentally to Magnetism through the Maxwell relationships and is the more easily measured. Since a Coulomb of electrons doesn't fit conveniently in a beaker or sit easily on a scale, but a coulomb in flux does yield more easily measurable effects, it seems to make better sense to then just ... stay current.

No no no, you may conveniently catch a Coulomb of electrons in a beaker, using electrochemical methods :-p

Honestly, while I have no doubts that there were logical and practical reasons to make ampere fundamental unit, I don't get the 'whys'. Coulomb - defined as 1 ampere times 1 second - is only as accurate as our measurements of time and current are. Coulomb - defined as number of electrons - would be exact. That's what is proposed to be done to Avogadro constant, I suppose it will work for Coulomb as well. To some extent that's what has been already done to time and length.

Last edited:
Measuring current can be done more accurately than counting electrons, hence we use current rather than charge as the fundamental unit.

No no no, you may conveniently catch a Coulomb of electrons in a beaker, using electrochemical methods

That's impossible. However, one could catch -1 Coulombs of electrons. :biggrin:

Related to Why ampare is fundamental unt in S.I rather than charge

1. Why is ampere considered a fundamental unit in the SI system?

The ampere is considered a fundamental unit in the SI system because it is one of the seven base units used to measure physical quantities. These base units are considered to be the most fundamental and cannot be broken down into smaller units. In the SI system, the ampere is used to measure electric current, which is a fundamental physical quantity that cannot be derived from other units.

2. What is the relationship between ampere and charge?

The ampere and charge are closely related, as the ampere is a unit of measurement for electric current, which is the rate at which electric charge flows. One ampere is equal to one coulomb of charge flowing per second. This relationship is defined by the fundamental law of electromagnetism, known as Ampere's Law.

3. Why is charge not considered a fundamental unit in the SI system?

Charge is not considered a fundamental unit in the SI system because it can be derived from other base units. Charge is defined as the product of current and time, and since both current (ampere) and time (second) are already considered fundamental units, charge does not need to be included as a separate base unit.

4. How is the ampere defined in the SI system?

The ampere is defined as the constant current that, if maintained in two straight parallel conductors of infinite length and negligible cross-section, placed one meter apart in a vacuum, would produce between these conductors a force equal to 2 x 10^-7 newtons per meter of length. This definition was established in 1948 and has been used to standardize the measurement of electric current ever since.

5. Are there any other systems of measurement that use the ampere as a fundamental unit?

Yes, the ampere is also considered a fundamental unit in the CGS (centimeter-gram-second) system of measurement. However, this system is not as widely used as the SI system and is being gradually replaced by it. The ampere is also used in other systems, such as the MKS (meter-kilogram-second) and the Gaussian systems, but it is not considered a fundamental unit in these systems.