Why Are Burnup Numbers Identical for Different Fuels in MCNP?

Rafimah
TL;DR Summary
Different fuels are giving the same burnup in MCNP
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to compare 3 different fuels and MCNP and I want to recover the burnup of each. When I do that however, I get identical numbers for burnup, which doesn't make sense to me, as they have different materials (LEU vs LEU+ vs a thorium-based fuel).

Does anyone know what could be the issue here? My understanding is that burnup is the energy reduced per unit mass of isotopes >=90, so it should be pretty different for these 3 cases. I uploaded the 3 out files.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi @Rafimah , I can't see the out files.

Likes rpp
I don't see your output files, but I think you have a conceptualization problem. For burnup calculations, ther burnup is an input (usually specified as energy per mass of heavy metal), and the code will calculate the isotopic distribution and k-effective.

It sounds like you ran three cases and received the same burnup. Not surprising, since this is an input. Look at the isotopics and k-effective, and they should be different.

Likes Alex A
There is a BURN card in the other thread specified as a power level and number of days to burn for but the reactor isn't finished and has a k of around 0.01, it's actually so under critical the code won't run. I think comparing fuels with BURN is valid, but if the conversion ratio is low any fuel is just going to yield the strictly theoretical amount of time and energy.

Likes rpp