Why are car tyres not symmetrical?

• Thread starter Lojzek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the tires are not symmetrical because they are adjustable and the channels point in one direction. They are also good for high-speed turns because the grip is maximized in a certain direction.
Lojzek
When I was changing my car's tyres I noticed something I can't explain: I assumed that the left two tyres should be a mirror image of the right two tyres: therefore they should be different. However it is not so: all four tyres are identical, so it is impossible to place them symmetricaly.
Does anyone know what is the reason why car tyres are not symmetrical with respect to the central plane of the car?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Because then you would have left and right hand side tires, hence companies would have to make and stock twice as many tires.

There is such thing as directional tires (the must be installed in such a fashion to make sure they spin in the correct direction), but I can't think of any reason why you would want your tires to be made such that you would have different tires on the right and left sides of the car.

How about

///BORING

I mean...

///NASCAR

:smile:

Mech_Engineer said:
I can't think of any reason why you would want your tires to be made such that you would have different tires on the right and left sides of the car.

Maybe it's to match up with those left-hand threaded lug nuts from the other thread...

Asymmetric tires do exist -- the Goodyear Eagle F1 and Yokohama Parada are the only current models I know:

Attachments

• gy_eagle_f1_asy_ci1_l.jpg
    gy_eagle_f1_asy_ci1_l.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 521
  • yo_parada_spec2_ci1_l.jpg
    yo_parada_spec2_ci1_l.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 508
There's no doubt that they exist. I believe that the OP question relates to whether or not they're worth the price for a normal vehicle. I'd have to vote 'no' on that. I'd replace the defective ones with 'universal' patterns, and repeat until your originals are used up.
That's using North American standards, though. If you're going to be cutting loose on the Autobahn, something more stringent is required.

Last edited:
I think the OP's question is probably simpler...

Lojzek said:
When I was changing my car's tyres I noticed something I can't explain: I assumed that the left two tyres should be a mirror image of the right two tyres: therefore they should be different. However it is not so: all four tyres are identical, so it is impossible to place them symmetricaly.
Does anyone know what is the reason why car tyres are not symmetrical with respect to the central plane of the car?
Notice that the labels are pointed out on both sides of the car: they are mirror images of each other and symmetric to the central plane of the car!

I have also checked my winter tyres and found out that they can (and must) be placed symmetricaly, since they have left and right version, which are the mirror image of each other. Obviously it is possible to create a tyre that works better when rolled in a certain direction. The direction is probably important to better push the water away: the V shaped channel always points in the rolling direction, so that it first touches the ground with the lower part of V (in the center of the tyre). I suppose this allows water to flow of in the direction it is naturaly pushed (forward and aside).
However my summer tyres are not symmetric to the central plane of the car: at least if one also considers the direction of transversal channels, which are inclined up (as they ran from outer edge of the wheel towards the interior) on one side and down on the other side (if viewed from the front of the car).
Maybe the effect of directed channels is not that important for summer tyres, since they are not supposed to encounter so much bad weather.

Last edited:
Yes there are tires that are not symmetric, and one application is used for track racing.

Cars have adjustable camber (which is one aspect that gets adjusted when getting an alignment).

Because of this you can have negative or positive camber (which is basically the angle the tire makes from the [] view to the car (not the side of the wheel)).

This is so you can adjust where the maximum grip is for the tires. This is useful for making turns through corners at high speeds and being able to gain more grip.. which is why the tires end up eating grip in an odd fashion in these track cars.

I used to race my car, and my tires are not symmetrical. They have to be rotated in a specific direction because it only goes one way. I have Falken Ziex-912s and they grip real well for street tires. Mainly for sport applications though, not driving in snow or whatevers.

FAQ: Why are car tyres not symmetrical?

1. Why are car tyres not symmetrical?

Car tyres are not symmetrical because they are designed to perform specific functions while driving. The inner and outer sides of the tyre have different tread patterns, which help with traction, grip, and stability. This allows for better handling and safer driving on various road surfaces and weather conditions.

2. How do asymmetrical tyres differ from symmetrical tyres?

Asymmetrical tyres have different tread patterns on the inner and outer sides of the tyre, while symmetrical tyres have the same tread pattern on both sides. Asymmetrical tyres are designed to provide better performance and handling in wet and dry conditions, while symmetrical tyres are more suitable for everyday driving.

3. Do all tyres have the same tread pattern on both sides?

No, not all tyres have the same tread pattern on both sides. As mentioned, asymmetrical tyres have different tread patterns on the inner and outer sides, while directional tyres have a specific tread pattern that must be facing a certain direction for proper performance. Only symmetrical tyres have the same tread pattern on both sides.

4. Can you rotate asymmetrical tyres like symmetrical tyres?

No, you cannot rotate asymmetrical tyres like symmetrical tyres. Asymmetrical tyres are designed to be mounted on specific sides of the vehicle, so rotating them would disrupt their intended performance. However, you can still rotate them from front to back on the same side.

5. Are asymmetrical tyres more expensive than symmetrical tyres?

Yes, asymmetrical tyres tend to be more expensive than symmetrical tyres. This is because they are designed for better performance and handling, and often have more advanced tread patterns and materials. However, the price difference may vary depending on the brand and specific features of the tyres.