Why are equations written in double angle form?

• Thread starter EastWindBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Form
In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages of simplifying equations by converting them into a double angle form. This can reduce the likelihood of making mistakes and make it easier to memorize the equations.
EastWindBreaks

Homework Statement

IMG_1193.JPG

I guess this is a general question. in the book, it was originally in a normal form, but it was then converted into a double angle form, which I would have to use double angle forumla to compute, so what's the point of simplifying in the first place?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on what your unknown quantities are. The formulae in the gray box are much simpler, so there is less opportunity to make a mistake. That would be one advantage. Also, if it is something that you are memorizing, it is less to memorize, rather than all of those sin(theta)cos(theta) etc, for example.

Likes EastWindBreaks
scottdave said:
I guess it depends on what your unknown quantities are. The formulae in the gray box are much simpler, so there is less opportunity to make a mistake. That would be one advantage. Also, if it is something that you are memorizing, it is less to memorize, rather than all of those sin(theta)cos(theta) etc, for example.
I guess you are right, its more compact, easier to remember.

Related to Why are equations written in double angle form?

1. Why do we use double angle form in equations?

Double angle form is used in equations because it allows us to simplify and solve more complex problems. It also helps us to express trigonometric functions in terms of other trigonometric functions, making it easier to manipulate and solve equations.

2. Can't we just use the regular angle form in equations?

We can use the regular angle form in equations, but it may not always be the most efficient or accurate way to solve certain problems. Double angle form allows us to express trigonometric functions in a more compact and simplified manner, making it easier to solve equations and understand the relationships between different angles.

3. How is double angle form different from half angle form?

Double angle form is an expression that represents twice the value of a given angle, while half angle form represents half the value of a given angle. Double angle form is often used to simplify equations, while half angle form is used to find the value of a trigonometric function for a given angle.

4. Are there any real-life applications of double angle form?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of double angle form. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve problems involving trigonometric functions. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile or the angles of a triangle in a structure.

5. Is it necessary to learn double angle form?

Learning double angle form is not mandatory, but it can greatly benefit those studying mathematics or pursuing a career in a field that uses trigonometry. It can make solving equations and understanding trigonometric relationships easier and more efficient, saving time and effort in problem-solving.