Why are General Linear Groups Non Abelian?

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI thought that a good way to go about this problem would be to find two general invertible matrices that don't commute. However, I'm having trouble finding them. Is this the right way to go about it? If not, how can I prove this?Actually, the probability that two matrices will commute is zero. Take any two matrices A,B , neither of which is a scalar multiple of the identity, and multiply them. If they commute, go buy a lottery ticket; you have beaten gigantic odds.You may even be able to tell that the respective first entries AB1,1 and BA1,1 are different.When finding your non-commuting
lola1990

Homework Statement

Show that if n>1 and F is an arbitrary field, the general linear group defined by n and F is non-abelian

Homework Equations

A general linear group is the group of invertible matrices with entries from F

A non abelian group is a group where the binary operation isn't commutative

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that a good way to go about this problem would be to find two general invertible matrices that don't commute. However, I'm having trouble finding them. Is this the right way to go about it? If not, how can I prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the probability that two matrices will commute is zero. Take any two
matrices A,B , neither of which is a scalar multiple of the identity, and multiply
them. If they commute, go buy a lottery ticket; you have beaten gigantic odds.

You may even be able to tell that the respective first entries AB1,1 and
BA1,1 are different.

When finding your non-commuting matrices, remember that there are only 2 elements guaranteed to be in your field, namely 0 and 1 (with [itex] 0 \neq 1 [/itex]), since you could even be working over [itex] \mathbb{F}_2 [/itex]. But I think your approach is good, and as Bacle said, you can show 2 matrices are not equal just by finding a single entry that isn't the same.

Your right, Spamiam, I had not thought of that. I was just thinking you may do a product of 2x2 matrices , and see how difficult it is for them to commute, by checking a single entry, and trying to determine when/how it can be made to commute.

if char(F) is not 2:

[1 1][1 0]...[2 1]
[0 1][1 1] = [1 1],

[1 0][1 1]...[1 1]
[1 1][0 1] = [1 2]

if char(F) = 2:

[1 1][1 0]...[0 1]
[0 1][1 1] = [1 1],

[1 0][1 1]...[1 1]
[1 1][0 1] = [1 0], so in either case we see these two matrices do not commute.

for n > 2, call the first 2x2 matrix above A, the 2nd B (from the top product).

define the following nxn matrices in block form:

[A 0]..[B 0]
[0 I ], [0 I]...it should be clear these are invertible, and do not commute.

Related to Why are General Linear Groups Non Abelian?

Why are General Linear Groups Non Abelian?

The General Linear Group is a mathematical concept that represents the set of all invertible linear transformations on a vector space. It is non-abelian because its group operation, matrix multiplication, does not follow the commutative property. This means that the order of multiplication matters, and it is not possible to switch the order of the matrices without changing the result.

What is an example of a non-abelian group?

One example of a non-abelian group is the General Linear Group of 2x2 matrices, denoted as GL(2). This group consists of all invertible 2x2 matrices with real coefficients, and its operation is matrix multiplication. As previously mentioned, the order of multiplication of matrices in this group matters, making it non-abelian.

Why is the non-abelian property important in the General Linear Group?

The non-abelian property of the General Linear Group is important because it allows for a wider range of transformations on a vector space. If the group were abelian, the transformations would be limited to only commutative operations, which would not be as versatile or useful in certain mathematical applications.

Can a subgroup of the General Linear Group be abelian?

Yes, it is possible for a subgroup of the General Linear Group to be abelian. A subgroup is a smaller group that is formed by selecting a subset of elements from the original group, and it must also follow the same group operation. Therefore, if the subset of elements selected follows the commutative property, the subgroup will be abelian, even if the original group (General Linear Group) is non-abelian.

How does the non-abelian property affect the structure of the General Linear Group?

The non-abelian property affects the structure of the General Linear Group by making it a more complex and interesting group. It introduces the concept of subgroups and allows for the existence of normal subgroups, which are subgroups that are invariant under conjugation. The non-abelian property also affects the properties and behaviors of the group's elements, such as its center and conjugacy classes.

Back