Why are modern prints of math books not printed in LaTeX?

In summary, textbooks on mathematics are often printed in Times New Roman instead of LaTeX, which is the default font used in LaTeX documents. This could be due to the fact that older books are not being converted to LaTeX and also because the default font for math symbols in LaTeX is Times Roman italic.
Samuelb88
Title says it all. I was reading my textbook today and it dawned on me that not a single textbook on mathematics that I've read has been printed in LaTeX. Instead, I believe it's printed in Times New Roman. At any rate, I think the font style looks much worse than the standard LaTeX font. Does anyone know why this is?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean copies of old books? I would guess because no ones really complaining about how it's typed in the old books, they look fine as they are, and converting hundreds of pages for each book into LaTeX code would be an extreme bother.

Are you saying "LaTex" is a font style?

No, when I say font style of LaTeX, I mean the the default font that is used when a document is created in LaTeX. e.g. [itex]x, y, z [/itex] etc... What would you call it?

Times Roman italic, isn't that the default for LaTeX math symbols?

SammyS said:
Times Roman italic, isn't that the default for LaTeX math symbols?

I never said it was!

Related to Why are modern prints of math books not printed in LaTeX?

1. Why are modern prints of math books not printed in LaTeX?

Many modern prints of math books are not printed in LaTeX because it is not the most user-friendly software for authors and publishers. It requires knowledge of coding and can be difficult to navigate for those not familiar with it.

2. Are there any advantages to using LaTeX for math book printing?

Yes, there are several advantages to using LaTeX for math book printing. It produces high-quality, professional-looking documents with precise mathematical typesetting. It also allows for easy creation of complex formulas and equations.

3. Is LaTeX being phased out in favor of other software for math book printing?

No, LaTeX is still widely used in the scientific community for publishing math books and papers. While there are other software options available, LaTeX remains a popular choice for its precise typesetting capabilities.

4. Do all math books need to be printed using LaTeX?

No, not all math books need to be printed using LaTeX. It ultimately depends on the preferences of the author and publisher. Some may choose to use other software for its user-friendliness or for specific formatting options.

5. Can non-mathematicians use LaTeX for book printing?

Yes, non-mathematicians can use LaTeX for book printing. While it may require some learning and practice, LaTeX can be used for a variety of documents and is not limited to mathematical content.