Why Are My PSPICE Midband Gain Results Higher Than Expected?

In summary, I have found that the gain of the cascaded emitter amplifier is around 40.8 dB when a 20mV signal is applied. I have also found that the frequency response is around 43 dB.
Steve Collins
I’m in the process of writing a lab report after testing a cascaded common-emitter amp. The second transistor input is the collector output (collector to base) which I understand to be an emitter follower?

I have used PSPICE to measure the gain when a 20mV signal is applied and I have measured the resulting output peak-to-peak voltage to be a maximum of 2.2V which gives a gain of 40.8dB.

I have plotted the frequency response (20log(output/input)) using PSPICE and I’m getting a midband gain of around 43dB, which would mean an output of around 2.8V which is well over what I have read from the output signal plot.

The bottom of the output signal seems to be clipped and I was wondering if this could have anything to do with the results not matching up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anytime you have a clipped signal you can throw out all the data.

It would help if you described your complete circuit including input voltage.

I've attached the circuit diagram, Cc2 can be omitted the main point of this assignment was to see the effects of changing the value of capacitor Cc.

Input signal is 20mV (19.71mV measured PSPICE voltage)
Output Signal clipped at bottom = 2.09V measured with PSPICE.

Gain also measured = 43.37 dB

Vcc = +15V

Attachments

• pf cascade.pdf
    88.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Wow, that's a giant Ce!

This is a far from trivial circuit to analyze.

You did not mention any frequencies, especially the one where you get the clipping. Need that.

Next: the 1st stage is a Miller integrator. So right away you have dynamics (frequency-sensitivities) to contend with. This is an ac, not a dc, equation.

(Assuming an infinite-beta transistor and an ac-grounded emitter, one of your equations will be dVc/dt + V1/RB= 0 where V1 is the voltage at the junction of CIN/R1/R2/R8.)

Yes, the second stage is an emitter follower.

I suggest removing CC, CC2 and CL from the simulation at first. See how the circuit behaves at the various nodes. You can then add small amounts of CC at a time to see the effects of the Miller integrator effect on Q1n and small amounts of CL.

I’ve changed the value of Cc and at 470pF the bandwidth is 15kHz then doubling the Cc the bandwidth almost halves to 8kHz.

Clipping starts at around 80Hz

Tell you what, this circuit is more or less a disaster. The ac gain at frequencies above about 2.7 KHz (the cutoff frequency of the input stage) is directly proportional to the beta of Q1 which is very poor design. Where did this design come from? I would not pursue this design any further without significant changes ...

I’m doing an assignment which is to analyse the CE amp that incorporates Q1. This involves DC analysis and bandwidth/3db frequencies when the value of Cc is changed.
Raising the value seems to shorten the bandwidth which I’m sure you already know. I still have to investigate the reason for this.

The adding of Q2 to the amp is optional and I was hoping that there was a simple answer why the gain doesn’t match the output/input.

I have gathered from what you have said that if the signal is clipped the output is not going to be as expected. Is this due to the lack of linearity?

Yes, clipping implies nonlinearity. Not only is the intended signal reduced but clipping implies harmonic generation.

This circuit is too difficult to analyze. If you want a more or less stably biased and predictable CE circuit for Q1, let me know. I really can't work with this circuit.

(I can give you one with your input R-C network Cin + Rb, plus just 3 resistors and Q1. Your Rc would be the same 5.1K. Gain = 40 dB. You could also add CC if you wanted.
Do you have a -15V supply available?)

Related to Why Are My PSPICE Midband Gain Results Higher Than Expected?

1. What is CE amp midband gain and how is it calculated?

CE amp midband gain refers to the voltage gain of a common emitter amplifier at its midband frequency, which is the frequency at which the amplifier has its maximum gain. This gain is calculated by taking the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage at the midband frequency.

2. What is PSPICE and how is it related to CE amp midband gain?

PSPICE is a computer program used for simulating and analyzing electronic circuits. It is often used to calculate the midband gain of a CE amplifier by inputting the circuit parameters and analyzing the output results.

3. How does changing the values of circuit components affect the CE amp midband gain?

The midband gain of a CE amplifier is primarily affected by the values of the resistors in the circuit. Increasing the value of the collector resistor will decrease the gain, while increasing the value of the emitter resistor will increase the gain. Changes in the values of other components, such as capacitors and transistors, may also have a smaller impact on the midband gain.

4. Is CE amp midband gain affected by temperature changes?

Yes, temperature changes can affect the midband gain of a CE amplifier. This is because the gain of a transistor is dependent on its temperature. As the temperature increases, the gain of the transistor decreases, resulting in a decrease in the overall midband gain of the amplifier.

5. How can I improve the midband gain of a CE amplifier?

There are several ways to improve the midband gain of a CE amplifier. One way is to increase the gain of the individual transistor by using a transistor with a higher beta value. Another way is to use negative feedback, which can increase the stability and gain of the amplifier. Additionally, optimizing the values of the resistors and other components in the circuit can also improve the midband gain.