Uncovering the Science Behind Noisy Oven Fans

• Thread starter T.O.E Dream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    oven
In summary, a fan, most often the one on top of a stove, is so loud because of the air moving or the motor. The more air a fan has to move, the louder it is going to be unless it is a highly engineered fan. The bearings in the fan motor could wear out causing the noise. Has the noise got higher lately or has it always been there? No, it's not my oven fan I'm worried about but I'm talking in general.
T.O.E Dream
What causes a fan, most often the one on top of a stove to be so loud when turned on?

I mean is it the air moving or the motor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Extractor fans normally cause vibration in addition to the motor/fan noise so...

Solution = Open a window / door when cooking or...

Get a take away.

^trying to be funny. :D

The more air a fan has to move, the louder it is going to be unless it is a highly engineered fan. A stove top vent fan does not fall into that category.

Is this an exhaust fan?
An exhaust fan does not have a noise barrier.
The bearings in the fan motor could wear out causing the noise.
A high output motor can cause a lot of high noise because of air movement.
Has the noise got higher lately or has it always been there?

No, it's not my oven fan I'm worried about but I'm talking in general.

The exhaust ductwork on such systems (if it even exists) is almost always undersized and undersized ductwork makes for noisy systems.

Oftentimes, though, it isn't an exhaust fan, it is just a recirculating fan and a filter.

Because of the water vapors (humidity) that makes the air more dense ,and creates more turbulence around the blades...just like an aircraft cuts into the clouds you can hear a chance in the engine frequency and increased wing vibration...I'm just guessing of course :eek:)

crx said:
Because of the water vapors (humidity) that makes the air more dense ,and creates more turbulence around the blades... . . :eek:)

In fact, humid air is less dense than air with no water molecules. The molecular mass of H2O is less than that of O2 and N2 and there are the same number of molecules (total) per unit volume at any given pressure. This is a popular misconception - along with "Air is like a sponge".

The reason why many fans are noisy is that they try to make them as small as possible and, hence, the speed of air passing through needs to be relatively high, with a consequent amount of turbulence / noise generated by the fan blades. Also, the blades may be a really naff design and not necessarily suited to the application - just suited to the accountant at the factory.
I am always impressed by the low noise level that you get in the bathrooms found in some hotels and blocks of service flats. The extractor will be a large one, situated remotely on the roof, which goes round at relatively low revs. You can do it if you try!

sophiecentaur said:
In fact, humid air is less dense than air with no water molecules. The molecular mass of H2O is less than that of O2 and N2 and there are the same number of molecules (total) per unit volume at any given pressure. This is a popular misconception - along with "Air is like a sponge".

you are completely right but i think that water will saturate the air rather than diffuse at a molecular level (above a stove for example or in the bathroom) and will form microscopic droplets of millions of molecules which at that level will have a higher density than dry air.

We have a Broan recirculating range-hood that is very quiet at the low setting, BUT it doesn't remove smoke and fumes very well on that setting. To get good air-movement, you have to use the high setting, which is lots quieter than our old hood was, but still a bit noisy. With the twin halogen lights, two-speed fan, two-intensity lamp intensity switches, the price was more than I really wanted to pay, but the brushed stainless with black trim matched the new Electrolux range nicely and my wife loves them. I would hate to have had to pay for a larger, more effective fan with better isolation and sound insulation. I've got to feel that there is a price-point that hood manufacturers try to meet, and since hoods are usually operated intermittently, noise-reduction is not high on their list lest they lose customers to less-expensive models.

crx
You have a point about the droplets.

Not enough technology or time either money to make them so they wouldn't make so much noise.
But they can actually change that "bug" if it can be called that way.

sophiecentaur said:
crx
And the oil / fat molecules which are very much more massive and which soon will coat the blades and increase drag and turbulence.

sophiecentaur said:
crx

...I love you too! :wink:

Related to Uncovering the Science Behind Noisy Oven Fans

1. Why is my oven fan so loud?

There are several reasons why an oven fan can be noisy. One possible reason is that the fan may be dirty or clogged with debris, which can cause it to work harder and produce more noise. Another possible reason is that the fan blades may be damaged or misaligned, which can also lead to increased noise. Additionally, as ovens age, their fans may become louder due to wear and tear.

2. Are all oven fans noisy?

No, not all oven fans are noisy. The noise level of an oven fan can vary depending on the model and brand of the oven. Some newer models have quieter fans due to advances in technology and design. However, it is normal for an oven fan to produce some level of noise while in use.

3. Can I make my oven fan quieter?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to make your oven fan quieter. First, make sure the fan and its components are clean and free of debris. If the fan blades are misaligned or damaged, you may need to have them repaired or replaced. Additionally, you can try placing sound-absorbing materials such as rubber pads or insulation around the fan to reduce noise.

4. Is the noise from my oven fan harmful?

In most cases, the noise from an oven fan is not harmful. However, if the noise level is excessive, it can be a sign of a larger issue with the fan or oven. It is important to address any unusual or loud noises coming from your oven to prevent potential damage to the appliance.

5. Can I use my oven if the fan is noisy?

It is not recommended to use your oven if the fan is noisy. The noise could be an indication of a problem with the fan or other components of the oven, which could potentially lead to further damage. If your oven fan is unusually loud, it is best to have it inspected and repaired before using the oven again.