Why Are Quarks and Leptons Grouped in the Antisymmetric Representation of SU(5)?

• Thread starter Sombrero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, people often overestimate the importance of the quarks and leptons in describing the fermions in the SU(5) GUT.
Sombrero
Dear PF,

I have very simple question, it is due to my poor understanding of group theory. WhY in antisymmetric 5*5 representation of SU(5) (there are 10 states) one puts quarks and leptons, since having product of two SU(5) fundamental representations we get a composed antisymmetric ten states. So they are composed ten states built from fundamentals of SU (5), but assigned to simply quarks and leptons.

If I express my question not properly pls tell me and Ill be more specific.

Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Not "correct" question... :(

I can't quite make out what's bothering you.
Let me review the model quickly

The vector bosons are in the adjoint 24, and the fermions are in two irreps which are the conjugate fundamental 5(bar) and the antisymmetric 10. Their is a 24 whith Higgs bosons that give masses to the unseen vector bosons, only one of of these Higgs having a nonzero VEV. There is also a 5 of higgs bosons that break the model down to the standard model (with the correct branching ratios).

Why not stick the particles in a fundamental 15 instead of 5bar and 10? Answer, such a model would be nonchiral, so its ruled out.

For a fairly brief intro with the right matrices for this GUT check out John Baez's summary (which I always found very readable)

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/week119.html

Haelfix said:
For a fairly brief intro with the right matrices for this GUT check out John Baez's summary (which I always found very readable)

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/week119.html"

I'm glad you liked it. I also wrote up a longer treatment of the SU(5) GUT for a course I taught:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/qg-spring2003/"

People often underestimate the beauty of how the fermions can be described in this GUT; I tried to fix that. Zee's book Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell also came out in 2003, and it treats this GUT very nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Are Quarks and Leptons Grouped in the Antisymmetric Representation of SU(5)?

1. What is the SU(5) group?

The SU(5) group is a type of mathematical group used in theoretical physics to describe the symmetries of elementary particles. It is a specific type of special unitary group, which is a type of Lie group that describes the symmetries of quantum systems.

2. How is the SU(5) group related to particle physics?

The SU(5) group is used in the Grand Unified Theory (GUT) of particle physics, which attempts to unify the electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces into one single force. The symmetries of the SU(5) group can help explain the relationships between different types of particles and their interactions.

3. What is the significance of the number 5 in SU(5)?

The number 5 in SU(5) refers to the dimensionality of the group, which is the number of independent parameters needed to describe the group. In this case, the SU(5) group has 5 dimensions, meaning it is described by 5 complex numbers.

4. Can the SU(5) group be applied to the real world?

While the SU(5) group is a theoretical concept used in particle physics, it has not yet been fully confirmed or observed in the real world. However, it is a valuable tool for scientists to understand the underlying symmetries and relationships between particles and forces.

5. How does the SU(5) group relate to other groups in physics?

The SU(5) group is related to other groups in physics, such as the SU(3) group and the SU(2) group, which describe the symmetries of the strong and weak nuclear forces, respectively. The SU(5) group is also a subgroup of the larger SU(6) group, which is used in the study of quarks and gluons.