Why Are There Only 2 uds Combinations in the Baryon Octet?

• Thread starter adamd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baryon
In summary, the Baryon Octet is a classification of particles made up of three quarks with a spin of 1/2. Due to the Pauli exclusion principle, there are only two possible combinations of u, d, and s quarks in the Baryon Octet: uud and uds.
adamd

Homework Statement

Construct the Baryon Octet. (J^p)=1/2 +

Specifically I am puzzled as to why there are only 2 uds combinations.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I know to make an overall spin state of 1/2 I have a antisymetric spin state and so in the octet there can't be uuu, ddd or sss because anti symmetrical color * anti symm spin would be symmetrical overall which is not allowed.
But my question is why is there only 2 variations of the uds combination.
Why can't each of the u/d/s have oposite spin to the other 2. That would make 3 possibilities.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. The Baryon Octet is a classification of particles that consists of eight baryons made up of three quarks each. These baryons are composed of up (u), down (d), and strange (s) quarks. The spin state of the baryons in the Baryon Octet is 1/2, meaning that each baryon has a total spin of 1/2.

To answer your question, there are only two variations of the uds combination because of the Pauli exclusion principle. This principle states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. In other words, the three quarks in a baryon must have different quantum numbers, including spin. Since the up and down quarks have the same spin of 1/2, they cannot have opposite spins in the same baryon. Therefore, the only possible combinations for the u, d, and s quarks in the Baryon Octet are uud and uds.

I hope this helps clarify your question. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Why Are There Only 2 uds Combinations in the Baryon Octet?

1. What is a baryon octet/decuplet?

A baryon octet/decuplet is a grouping of particles, specifically baryons, that are made up of three quarks. The octet consists of eight particles, while the decuplet consists of ten particles.

2. What are the quarks that make up a baryon octet/decuplet?

The quarks that make up a baryon octet/decuplet are the up, down, and strange quarks. These quarks have different charges and spins, which determine the properties of the baryon.

3. What is the significance of the baryon octet/decuplet in particle physics?

The baryon octet/decuplet is significant in particle physics because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of baryons. By studying the patterns and relationships between the particles in the octet/decuplet, we can gain insight into the strong nuclear force and the fundamental building blocks of matter.

4. Can baryon octets/decuplets be observed in nature?

Yes, baryon octets/decuplets can be observed in nature. Baryons, including those in the octet/decuplet, are common particles found in the universe. They can be observed in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators, or in the debris of cosmic ray collisions in Earth's atmosphere.

5. How does the baryon octet/decuplet relate to the concept of isospin?

The baryon octet/decuplet is closely related to the concept of isospin, which describes the symmetry between certain types of particles. In the case of the baryon octet/decuplet, the particles in each group have the same spin and isospin, but differ in their charges. This symmetry helps scientists understand and predict the behavior of these particles.