Why are there only 3-phase and 1-phase systems in electricity?

• Thread starter darwinharianto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, 3 phase systems are the most economical and efficient way to distribute power, and 1 phase systems are commonly used for residential purposes. The frequency of 50/60 Hz is commonly used for large grid systems, but there have been other frequencies used for special systems. The reason for using 50/60 Hz is not entirely clear, but it may have been because it was the maximum frequency that could be produced at the time when the standard was established. However, some equipment may require a different frequency, such as 400 Hz for certain radar systems. The article provided in the conversation gives more information on the history and reasons behind the use of different frequencies.
darwinharianto

Homework Statement

why are there only 3 phase systems and 1 phase system, not other systems like 4 phase or more?
why do electricity only use 50/60 Hz?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for number 1 i assume if there are more phase, the price will be higher so it won't be used. But i need other reasons beside that.
for number 2 i thought because at 50/60 Hz people can no longer differentiate if it is continuous or just blinking.
is this right? or are there more reasons?
thank you for answering

Physics news on Phys.org
1. 3 phase just seems to be the easiest and most economical way. If you look down the big powerlines, you will always see pairs of 3 lines. Generators naturally make 3 phase power. The frequency 50/60 is simply set by the generator speed. 60 hz is 3600 RPM I believe. Due to the poles in a generator, the generator spins at a different speed, more likely 1800 RPM for example. You could use a 6 phase or a 9 phase or whatever, its just that 3 phase just makes the most sense monetarily and so forth.

Perhaps you could say that the naked eye can't pick up 60 hz in lights or whatever, but I think It is set that speed more because of the speeds of the motors we use. Your AC condenser, blender, air compressor, house fan, etc...all turn at a nice speed because of this 60 hz. If the poles are set correctly, a generator spinning at 3600 RPM could nicely turn a motor at 3600 RPM. Thats nice harmony...generator and motor are almost identical.

3. Single phase simple pulls off of two of the line to line phases...or line to nuetral phase. Instead of three sin waves intertwined and shifted 120 degrees from each other, the single phase sine wave is just that...a SINGLE sin wave that repeats 60 times per second...or 60 hz.

3 phase is best for distribution, commercial and industrial applications. It just makes sense due to the massive power needed.

However, in residential homes, single phase works just fine. For example, say you need to turn a huge 200 HP motor in an INDUSTRIAL application that turns a huge water pump or something. This motor needs to last for 20 or 30 years. 3 phase would be best. Not only would single phase be akward, it would shake the bearings right out of that motor after a long time. 3 phase is much smoother. Picture three torque arms turning a motor...that's three phase...nice and balanced. Now picture one torque arm turning a motor. Not so smooth, definitelly not balanced.

That being said, single phase is fine for turning you can opener, blender, refriderator condenser, mictrowave, dryer and even your smallish AC condenser in your home.

USA uses 240/120 single phase system in homes. Places like UK and others do actually bring 3 phase into residential. 208/120 I believe.

Last edited:
Likes darwinharianto
darwinharianto said:

Homework Statement

why are there only 3 phase systems and 1 phase system, not other systems like 4 phase or more?
why do electricity only use 50/60 Hz?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for number 1 i assume if there are more phase, the price will be higher so it won't be used. But i need other reasons beside that.
for number 2 i thought because at 50/60 Hz people can no longer differentiate if it is continuous or just blinking.
is this right? or are there more reasons?
thank you for answering

The 50/60 Hz frequency setup is common for large grid use, but there are other frequencies which have been or are being used for special systems. 400 Hz systems are found powering certain radar systems, particularly in naval service, while there are some legacy systems which used low frequency (25 Hz) AC for special service, like some of the early pumping systems installed in New Orleans to keep it pumped out. These systems were used from about 1914 up to about 2005, but I believe they are now being converted to use more modern electrical equipment.

This article gives a run down on the different frequencies which have been used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency

thanks psparky now I understand why they are using 3 phase but for the frequency i still get confused.
So I can conclude that by history people were using low frequencies, but then they changed the frequency to 50 Hz or 60 Hz then all the equipment were adjusted to be used at 50 or 60 Hz, but is there any specific reason why there are using 50 or 60 Hz? if all the equipment all around the world were being operated at 100 Hz then i would assume that the generator would be 100 Hz too. Is this because at that time 50/60 Hz were the maximum they can produced? Then because of it all the equipment going at 50/60 Hz? But for some specific equipment, the generator would be generating more frequency?
so more frequency is better then less?

sorry for my bad English
thank you for replying

darwinharianto said:
thanks psparky now I understand why they are using 3 phase but for the frequency i still get confused.
So I can conclude that by history people were using low frequencies, but then they changed the frequency to 50 Hz or 60 Hz then all the equipment were adjusted to be used at 50 or 60 Hz, but is there any specific reason why there are using 50 or 60 Hz? if all the equipment all around the world were being operated at 100 Hz then i would assume that the generator would be 100 Hz too. Is this because at that time 50/60 Hz were the maximum they can produced? Then because of it all the equipment going at 50/60 Hz? But for some specific equipment, the generator would be generating more frequency?

sorry for my bad English
thank you for replying

50 or 60 hz seems to do the trick over time it would appear. Are there any devices in your house that don't spin fast enough for you?

Here's the formula for motor speed (RPM) depending on frequency and number of poles in your motor:

Ns= (120*f)/p

Ns is the rpm of your motor (load)
f=frequency of your electric supply, 50 or 60hz as you have suggested.
p= number of poles.

You can see that as you raise frequency, motor speed increases. Also, as you increase the poles in a motor, motor speed decreases. Or if a motor has less poles, the motor speed will increase.

Likes darwinharianto
darwinharianto said:

sorry for my bad English
thank you for replying

That's just the point. There were a variety of different generating frequencies being used in the early days of AC power. Over time, it made economic sense to standardize on a certain frequency in order to reduce the number of different models of electrical equipment being made and sold (which can only use one frequency). In the US, 60 Hz was chosen, while in Europe and Asia, 50 Hz was made the standard. This article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency

goes on at length about the different frequencies used.

Likes darwinharianto
okay
now i understand about the frequencies
thank you

Related to Why are there only 3-phase and 1-phase systems in electricity?

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is caused by the movement of electrons, which are tiny particles with a negative charge. Electricity is a form of energy that is essential for powering many devices and machines.

How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in several ways, including through the use of fossil fuels, nuclear energy, and renewable sources such as wind and solar power. In most cases, electricity is generated by rotating turbines that turn a generator, which converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What are the different types of electricity?

There are two main types of electricity: direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC electricity flows in one direction, while AC electricity changes direction periodically. Most devices and appliances in our homes use AC electricity, while batteries and some electronic devices use DC electricity.

What factors affect the flow of electricity?

The flow of electricity is affected by several factors, including the resistance of the material it is flowing through, the voltage of the power source, and the circuit's design. The resistance of a material can be influenced by its thickness, temperature, and composition. Higher voltage and well-designed circuits can allow electricity to flow more easily.

What are some common safety precautions when working with electricity?

When working with electricity, it is essential to take safety precautions to prevent accidents and injuries. Some common safety measures include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, turning off the power source before working on electrical equipment, and using insulated tools. It is also crucial to follow electrical codes and regulations and seek help from a professional if you are unsure about any electrical work.