Why are there still counts far from 180º angular separation?

In summary, the plot of coincidence events vs. detector angular separation in the electron-positron annihilation experiment has a finite width and does not appear as a delta function due to various factors such as experimental conditions not being ideal, background radiation and noise, and the possibility of three-photon annihilation. The overlap coincidence method used in the experiment records any pair of detections that happen close together in time, regardless of their common origin. This results in a significant amount of counts registered at angles other than 180 degrees. Additionally, the solid angle and size of the sample can affect the angle measured by the detectors. The small energy and time resolution of the detectors can also contribute to the width of the plot.
says
I've added a graph of coincidence events vs. detector angular separation. This is for a electron-positron annihilation (gamma-gamma coincidence) experiment.

Why does the plot have a finite width and not look like a delta function? I'm assuming this is because the experimental conditions are not ideal. i.e. no infinitely small energy resolution, no infinitely small time resolution, not a perfect point source and point detectors aren't great.

Also, why are there still counts far from 180 degrees angular separation (past 130/230)? Shouldn't they only be registered within a small width?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
You can have background from your detector, from random gamma decays, from two pairs annihilating nearly at the same time, and probably from some other sources. A three-photon annihilation is possible as well.

I should have mentioned the source was Na-22.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by background form your detector and random gamma decays?

I'm still not 100% sure how the overlap coincidence method works with this experiment. A pulse from the movable detector enables the linear gate of the multi-chan analyser, and then any corresponding pulse from the fixed detector that arrives within the gate interval will be considered coincident. If the Na22 decays via electron capture and a neutrino is ejected from the atom's nucleus into the movable detector, won't anything picked up within the gate (even background radiation) in the fixed detector be considered as a coincidence event, even though the 2 events are unrelated.

Your detector can see a signal for three reasons::
- photons from annihilation (what you are interested in)
- photons from gamma decays, cosmic rays or similar (background)
- without photons (noise)

Every pair of detections that happens close together in time will be recorded, even if the two photons don't have a common origin.

Only if both photons come from a single two-photon annihilation at the target volume you get an angle close to 180 degrees, otherwise you get some random angle.

So at angles other than 180 degrees the count measurements are a result of photons from background radiation and noise.

For angles close to 180 degrees there are a significant amount of counts registered. Is this because both detectors have a certain solid angle? If so, would the only way to reduce this be to reduce the solid angle of the detector?

says said:
So at angles other than 180 degrees the count measurements are a result of photons from background radiation and noise.
These things occur at all angles. They can also be reconstructed as 180 degrees.
says said:
For angles close to 180 degrees there are a significant amount of counts registered. Is this because both detectors have a certain solid angle? If so, would the only way to reduce this be to reduce the solid angle of the detector?
The solid angle of the detector elements is certainly relevant. The size of the sample is relevant as well. If the annihilation does not happen in the center of the detector, it can measure an angle that is a bit different from 180 degrees.

mfb said:
The size of the sample is relevant as well. If the annihilation does not happen in the center of the detector, it can measure an angle that is a bit different from 180 degrees.

I never thought of this! Thank you. The sample in my experiment was a small disk ~1cm radius.

I don't fully understand the energy resolution of a detector, but would a small energy resolution and time resolution also be why the plot has a finite width and doesn't look like a delta function (i.e. A straight line at 180 degrees)

It can lead to more background events (within the energy and time range where coincidences are counted) that don't show a peak, but I don't see how it would make the peak broader.

FAQ: Why are there still counts far from 180º angular separation?

1. Why do we use 180º angular separation in scientific calculations?

The use of 180º angular separation is based on the concept of a straight angle, which is defined as 180º in geometry. This angle is used as a reference point for many scientific calculations and measurements.

2. Are there any exceptions to the 180º angular separation rule?

Yes, there are exceptions to the 180º angular separation rule. In some cases, scientists may use a different reference point or use a different unit of measurement for angles, such as radians or degrees.

3. How do scientists measure angular separation?

Angular separation is typically measured using a protractor or other measuring device that can accurately determine the angle between two points. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the positions of the objects in question.

4. Can angular separation be negative?

Yes, angular separation can be negative. This occurs when the two points being measured are on opposite sides of the reference line, resulting in an angle that is greater than 180º or less than -180º.

5. Why is angular separation important in astronomy?

Angular separation is important in astronomy because it allows scientists to measure the distance between celestial objects and determine their relative positions in the sky. This information is crucial for understanding the structure and movements of objects in the universe.