Why are transitions B and C allowed in the Selection Rule confusion?

• Thread starter dsdsuster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the solutions say transitions B and C are allowed. Does anyone know why we can neglect the rule about delta(m_j)=-1,0+1? I don't see any way to deduce the value of m_j values.
dsdsuster

The solutions say transitions B and C are allowed. Does anyone know why we can neglect the rule about delta(m_j)=-1,0+1? I don't see any way to deduce the value of m_j values.

Also if anyone could clarify what is meant by the small "l" and big "L" rules for the electric dipole that would be great. I'm guessing big L is for the sum of spin across several atoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_rule#Summary_table

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dsdsuster said:
The solutions say transitions B and C are allowed. Does anyone know why we can neglect the rule about delta(m_j)=-1,0+1? I don't see any way to deduce the value of m_j values.
Where is this rule being neglected?

I think they mean that since m_j can only ever take the values +1/2 and -1/2, delta m_j can only ever be -1, 0, or 1 anyway. In other words, requiring that delta m_j be -1, 0, or 1 is a selection rule that doesn't select anything and so can be neglected without any ill effect.

With j=3/2 or 1/2 we have m_j=3/2,1/2,-1/2,-3/2 or m_j=1/2,-1/2 respectively. For transition B then we could potential have delta (m_j ) greater than 1 if m_j=3/2->m_j=-1/2 for example.

Thanks for help.

j = m_l + m_j. j can be 3/2, not m_j. m_l can be 1, 0, or -1, m_j can be 1/2 or -1/2, so j = m_l + m_j can be -3/2, -1/2, 1/2, or 3/2.

Last edited:
j = m_l + m_j.
I don't think that's how the total angular momentum J works although I could be wrong. I think J:m_j just like L:m_l or S:m_s. So for each J value you have a sequence of m_j just as is the case for L and S. The correct expression would be m_j=m_s+m_l, the possible z components of angular momentum simply add.

Can we get a second opinion on this?

I'm sorry, I was mixing up my notation. You can just forget what I wrote.

The image you posted might be interpreted to mean that any transition from n = 1, j = 3/2 to n = 0, j = 1/2 is allowed regardless of the change in m_j. Is that what you are asking about? If that is the case, then since certain such transitions are not allowed, either the image is wrong, or the interpretation is wrong. Is there any supporting text to the effect that no change to spin is being considered? For example, in the normal Zeeman effect, that is the case.

Last edited:
I think things are making more sense now after reading your last comment.

The splitting of these lines into separate ones dependent on m_j would be a result of the Zeeman effect which we the diagram neglects so we can we neglect the m_j rule as well. I'm curious about the delta(s) rule you mentioned. Do you mean delta(m_s) since the hydrogen atom only has s=1/2?

No, I was simply confusing m_j with m_s. I meant that m_s for an electron can only ever be -1/2 or 1/2. Even in the absence of selection rules, m_s can only ever change by -1, 0, or 1. Imposing a selection rule that says it's only allowed to change by -1, 0, or 1 would be like passing a law that says you're not allowed to put your elbow in your ear. None of this is relevant to your issue.

You are right that L is the sum of all l's for a specific configuration.

For this question, don't worry about m_j unless they mention it. m_j would arise in a problem about the Zeeman effect due to the need for an additional level splitting mechanism. If I remember correctly, this problem was referring to a HeNe laser or some such situation that did not require further splitting.

Good luck on the Physics GRE :)

Related to Why are transitions B and C allowed in the Selection Rule confusion?

1. What is the concept of Selection Rule confusion?

Selection Rule confusion refers to the confusion or misunderstanding surrounding the rules that determine which electronic transitions are allowed or forbidden in a molecule or atom. These rules are based on principles of quantum mechanics and dictate which transitions are allowed to occur and which are not.

2. What are the main Selection Rules?

The main Selection Rules include the Laporte rule, which states that transitions between states of the same parity are forbidden; the spin selection rule, which states that transitions must involve a change in electron spin; and the symmetry selection rule, which states that transitions must preserve the overall symmetry of the molecule or atom.

3. Why is Selection Rule confusion a common issue?

Selection Rule confusion is a common issue because the rules can be complex and difficult to understand, especially for those who are not well-versed in quantum mechanics. Additionally, different molecules and atoms may have different selection rules, making it easy to mix them up or forget them.

4. How does Selection Rule confusion impact scientific research?

Selection Rule confusion can have a significant impact on scientific research, particularly in the field of spectroscopy. If the selection rules are not properly understood or applied, incorrect conclusions may be drawn from experimental data. This can lead to inaccurate interpretations and hinder progress in a particular area of research.

5. What can be done to avoid Selection Rule confusion?

To avoid Selection Rule confusion, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics and to familiarize oneself with the specific selection rules for the molecule or atom being studied. Consulting with experts and referencing reliable sources can also help clarify any confusion and ensure accurate interpretation of experimental data.