Why armature MMF is triangular in waveform?

• Thread starter Noaha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveform
In summary, the author is trying to explain that the total armature mmf is the sum of mmf's from all the individual conductors. He is showing how to obtain a step wave on a DC machine by applying right hand rule to the pair of conductors. He is also apologizing for taking up your time. The image in the post shows outward electron current and inward conventional current.
Noaha
Why armature mmf is triangular in waveform? According to Faraday's law, the mmf should be rectangular. But I read some where that the total mmf of all the coils sums up to produce triangular waveform. I don't understand how that happen.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Noaha said:
But I read some where that the total mmf of all the coils sums up to produce triangular waveform. I don't understand how that happen.

Without knowing what that author was describing , how would anybody venture even a guess ?

What kind of machine is it you describe that has triangular armature mmf ?

jim hardy said:
Without knowing what that author was describing , how would anybody venture even a guess ?

What kind of machine is it you describe that has triangular armature mmf ?

Sorry about that. I am asking for a DC machine.

The phrase "Triangular Armature MMF" makes no sense to me

Armature MMF in a DC machine adds (by vectors) to the field MMF , shifting it off axis. It's not time variant unless armature current is also time variant.

I can't fathom what your author had in mind.

Got a picture from his book ?

Sorry,

old jim

jim hardy said:
The phrase "Triangular Armature MMF" makes no sense to me

Armature MMF in a DC machine adds (by vectors) to the field MMF , shifting it off axis. It's not time variant unless armature current is also time variant.

I can't fathom what your author had in mind.

Got a picture from his book ?

Sorry,

old jim
I think he's talking about this.
Armature-Reaction1.jpg

Likes jim hardy
Ahhh uniform air gap,
that step wave says it all,
each step includes another armature turn
smooth out the steps and you have your triangle wave.

I never thought of it that way.

Picture is worth a thousand words again ?

thanks cnh !

here's another picture
use your right hand rule (my 'hand' came out a bit small)
armature_reaction.jpg

Likes cnh1995
"
jim hardy said:

"
What does this line means?

jim hardy said:
Ahhh uniform air gap,
that step wave says it all,
smooth out the steps and you have your triangle wave.

I never thought of it that way.

Picture is worth a thousand words again ?

thanks cnh !

here's another picture
use your right hand rule (my 'hand' came out a bit small)
View attachment 206779
Can you please explain how step wave is obtained due to uniform air gap?

Also, I am really sorry to take your time but I didn't understand what the above picture wants to say.

Noaha said:
What does this line means?
a picture is worth a thousand words..

armaturemmftriangle.jpg

The steps i took as author's attempt to convey idea that total mmf is sum of mmf's from alll the individual conductors.

I was taught to regard armature current as a sheet so just drew one vector for MMF.

So to me this was a new idea. Old guys don't handle new ideas so well as you younger folks with your more facile brains.

old jim

Likes cnh1995
jim hardy said:
a picture is worth a thousand words..

View attachment 207273

The steps i took as author's attempt to convey idea that total mmf is sum of mmf's from alll the individual conductors.

I was taught to regard armature current as a sheet so just drew one vector for MMF.

So to me this was a new idea. Old guys don't handle new ideas so well as you younger folks with your more facile brains.

old jim
I applied right hand rule on the pair of conductors as you showed and the direction of flux was downwards. I still don't understand how it forms a step wave.

jim hardy said:
I was taught to regard armature current as a sheet so just drew one vector for MMF
I am not able to imagine how this thing will look like.

Noaha said:
I applied right hand rule on the pair of conductors as you showed and the direction of flux was downwards.
Conventional or electron current ?

Big Ten-OOPS !
righthandrule.jpg

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
Conventional or electron current ?
Conventional current.

jim hardy said:
Conventional or electron current ?https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/207274
In this image, the cross represents outward electron current and inward conventional current. Am I right?

Noaha said:
In this image, the cross represents outward electron current and inward conventional current. Am I right?
You're right i drew 'em backwards ! Will fix it

i knew something was upside down...

righthandrule2.jpg

I'm not sure what author is portraying there.
At first glance it looks as if he may have drawn mmf upside down too,

What's known is mmf's add up. I think that's what he is attempting to convey.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
jim hardy said:
What's known is mmf's add up
The author is smoothing/adding the step waves to obtain the triangular wave as you said in one of the comments. But how the step wave is obtained on the first place? I am not able to figure this out.

Every amp-turn adds its MMF to the total.
Every conductor is the boundary of a current loop carrying some number of amp-turns.
So at each conductor is an increment in MMF., or a decrement depending which direction you are traversing, equal to the amp-turns in that loop.
That his steps are all the same size suggests the condustors he showed are in series.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
jim hardy said:
Every amp-turn adds its MMF to the total.
Every conductor is the boundary of a current loop carrying some number of amp-turns.
So at each conductor is an increment in MMF., or a decrement depending which direction you are traversing, equal to the amp-turns in that loop.
That his steps are all the same size suggests the condustors he showed are in series.
This is informative. But I got one more doubt here. According to this picture ,
upload_2017-7-23_19-49-55.png

The MMF should increase in direction of red to light violet, but the armature MMF is shown to be decreasing. please correct me where my understanding is going wrong.

Noaha said:
The MMF should increase in direction of red to light violet, but the armature MMF is shown to be decreasing. please correct me where my understanding is going wrong.

Red encircles only one pair .

Each pair produces its own MMF which adds to the total MMF.

Step wave represents total not individual mmfs.

I think the author drew either
the current dots and crosses backward
or
the MMF step wave upside down,

see post # 17
righthandrule2-jpg.jpg

Most likely it was a grad student who drew the image or an undergrad student better at CAD drafting than magnetics
and editors missed that detail.

That's what i think.

What do your basics tell you ?

old jim

jim hardy said:
the MMF step wave upside down,
Yes, even I was thinking that mmf should be upside down with the shown current direction.

If we consider this equation "MMF = flux*reluctance", can we deduce something?

Likes jim hardy
Noaha said:
If we consider this equation "MMF = flux*reluctance", can we deduce something?
What's your line of thought there ?

jim hardy said:
What's your line of thought there ?
upload_2017-7-23_21-8-35.png

In this image, armature flux is increasing under the north pole after the north pole axis. It can only increase if the armature mmf is increasing because under the poles, the reluctance is constant.
The same goes for under south pole before the south pole axis.

I think taking this thing into account, the author arrived at this graph.

But I am not able to figure out what is happening in the large air gap region. There, the reluctance is very high and hence flux reduces rapidly. But why still mmf is increasing?

Noaha said:
But why still mmf is increasing?
Armature MMF is amp-turns from the armature. No reluctance in that identity.

Flux = MMF/ Reluctance and observe it DOES decrease where reluctance is high.

a thought about that upside-down-ness ----------------------------------------------------
We don't know from where @cnh1995 got that drawing.
Most textbooks today use conventional current.
Before WW2 (and even today in vocational textbooks) it was(is) not uncommon to find authors using negative (electron) current.

If his image came from one of those books it explains the mystery .

I worked with many exceedingly capable former Navy technicians who were trained using electron current.
One really needs to be fluent in both conventional and negative current to succeed in industry .

jim hardy said:
We don't know from where @cnh1995 got that drawing.
I googled it.

Actually, I have seen that diagram in a standard machinery reference book, whose auther is Indian. I was planning to take a picture of that page and upload it here, but I couldn't find the book in our library.
So I just googled OP's title and found this relevant image.

Related to Why armature MMF is triangular in waveform?

1. What is armature MMF and why is it important?

Armature MMF stands for armature magnetomotive force, which is the magnetic force produced by the armature windings in an electric machine. It is important because it is responsible for creating the magnetic field that interacts with the stator field to produce torque.

2. Why is the waveform of armature MMF triangular?

The waveform of armature MMF is triangular because it is the result of the varying current flowing through the armature windings. As the current changes direction, the polarity of the magnetic field also changes, thus creating a triangular waveform.

3. How does the triangular waveform of armature MMF affect the performance of an electric machine?

The triangular waveform of armature MMF affects the performance of an electric machine in several ways. It helps to reduce the ripple in the torque output, increases the efficiency of the machine, and also helps to reduce the harmonics in the output voltage.

4. Can the waveform of armature MMF be modified to improve the performance of an electric machine?

Yes, the waveform of armature MMF can be modified by using different winding configurations or by adding additional winding layers. This can help to reduce the ripple in the torque output and improve the efficiency of the machine.

5. Are there any disadvantages to the triangular waveform of armature MMF?

One potential disadvantage of the triangular waveform of armature MMF is that it can cause increased vibration and noise in the electric machine. This can be mitigated by careful design and balancing of the machine components.