Why can I see light from TEM00 laser in direction of propagation?

In summary, the TEM00 laser has no electric or magnetic field in the direction of propagation, but the intensity is highest when observed along this direction. This is because the laser light is still exciting the molecules in the retina through the transverse electric field. While the modern explanation involves photons, the classical explanation using EM still holds. The plane wave solution to Maxwell's equations explains the nature of the electric and magnetic fields in the laser. The only difference with the TEM00 laser is that it has a transverse electric and magnetic field, while all light has perpendicular field vectors to the direction of propagation. This is due to the aperture in your eye that aligns with the laser, allowing for the most light to be detected.
Aziza
In my lab I have a TEM00 laser, so there is no electric or magnetic field in the direction of propagation (call it z direction). However, I know that the intensity of the laser is greatest when my eye is along z direction...why? If there is no electric field along this direction, then what is exciting the molecules in my retina??

I know that the modern explanation is that the laser is actually a stream of photons, but I am trying to model laser light propagation using classical EM, so I am looking for the classical explanation

Science news on Phys.org
First of all the laser light is not a stream of photons but, if you wish to express it in terms of quantum electrodynamics, a coherent state, i.e., a superposition of photon states with arbitrary photon numbers.

Second, as the name of the mode says, both the electric and the magnetic field are transverse. But there is a field, and that excites your retina.

Third, I hope you haven't really looked directly into the laser light! This is no fun for your eyes!

The electric field is still doing the exciting, there's no requirement for this field to be in the same direction as the direction of propagation. The forces on charges due to the wave will be in the polarisation direction.

This is the nature of the plane wave solution to Maxwell's equations

Isn't all light just like this, with the field vectors perpendicular to the direction of propagation? What's different about the TEM00 laser?

Because your eyes have an aperture that the light must pass through before it is detected by the retina. Obviously if the aperture is aligned in the direction of the laser, you will detect the most light.

Claude.

Related to Why can I see light from TEM00 laser in direction of propagation?

1. Why can I see light from TEM00 laser in direction of propagation?

Light from a TEM00 laser can be seen in the direction of propagation because it is a highly coherent and focused beam of light. This means that the laser beam remains tightly focused and does not diverge significantly as it travels, allowing the light to be visible even in the direction of propagation.

2. How does a TEM00 laser produce light?

A TEM00 laser produces light through the process of stimulated emission, where atoms in the laser's gain medium are excited by an external energy source and emit photons of light with specific properties. These photons are then amplified and aligned by the laser's resonant cavity, resulting in a highly coherent and focused beam of light.

3. Is the light from a TEM00 laser always visible in the direction of propagation?

No, the visibility of light from a TEM00 laser in the direction of propagation depends on various factors such as the laser's power, wavelength, and the environment it is being used in. In some cases, the light may not be visible due to scattering or absorption in the surrounding medium.

4. Can the direction of propagation of a TEM00 laser be changed?

Yes, the direction of propagation of a TEM00 laser can be changed by using reflective or refractive optics to redirect the laser beam. This can be useful for applications where the laser needs to be directed towards a specific target or for beam steering purposes.

5. Why is a TEM00 laser beam considered to be of high quality?

A TEM00 laser beam is considered to be of high quality because it has a Gaussian intensity profile, meaning that the beam is evenly distributed across its cross-section. This results in a uniform and stable beam with a low divergence, making it ideal for applications that require precision and accuracy.