Why can we see the image produced by a converging lens?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between virtual and real images produced by diverging and converging lenses. It is explained that while virtual images can be seen but not projected, real images can be projected but not seen in theory. However, the person asking the question points out that they can see an image produced by a converging lens, leading to a discussion about the arrangement of the lens and the nature of diverging rays. It is concluded that rays from all real objects are diverging, but can converge or diverge depending on the lens and object position.
Johnny B.

Homework Statement

Diverging lenses produce a "virtual" image, which can be seen but can't be projected, and converging lenses produce a "real" image which can be projected but not seen.
How come we can see the image produced by a converging lens, which is supposed to be a real image?

Homework Equations

None, I don't think I'll need to use any equation for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless... why is it that real images can in theory not be seen? I know that when I look through a magnifying glass, which is a converging lens, I can definitely see something. Is it because the image is "projected" in my retina?
If I trace the rays of light through the lens I get something like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Converging_lens_object_far.png
meaning the image is inverted and shrunken, but I can't get any further than that.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever diverging rays from any object or from an image fall on our eye, we can see them. Even in your ray diagram if you keep your eye beyond the image you can see an inverted image

Thanks...
So, if I arrange the lens like this

EYE ------- LENS ------- OBJECT

as when looking through a magnifying glass, the image forms between my eye and the lens and I can see it because there are rays going through my eye.
Have I gotten it right?

What's a "diverging" ray btw? Are all rays diverging?

Johnny B. said:
Thanks...
So, if I arrange the lens like this

EYE ------- LENS ------- OBJECT

as when looking through a magnifying glass, the image forms between my eye and the lens and I can see it because there are rays going through my eye.
Have I gotten it right?
What's a "diverging" ray btw? Are all rays diverging?
You are right.
Rays from all the real objects are diverging. After refracting from a lens it may converge or diverge depending on the nature of the lens and position of the object.

Related to Why can we see the image produced by a converging lens?

1. What causes the image to form in a converging lens?

The image formed by a converging lens is caused by the bending of light rays as they pass through the lens. This bending is known as refraction and is due to the difference in density between the air and the lens material.

2. How does a converging lens produce a magnified image?

A converging lens produces a magnified image by refracting light rays towards a central point, known as the focal point. This causes the image to appear larger than the original object.

3. Why is the image produced by a converging lens upside down?

The image produced by a converging lens is inverted because the light rays cross over each other as they pass through the lens. This phenomenon is known as the "law of refraction."

4. How does the distance between the object and lens affect the image produced by a converging lens?

The distance between the object and the lens, known as the object distance, affects the size and location of the image produced by a converging lens. The closer the object is to the lens, the larger and closer the image will appear.

5. Can a converging lens produce a virtual image?

Yes, a converging lens can produce a virtual image. This occurs when the object is placed between the focal point and the lens, causing the refracted light rays to appear to come from behind the lens. The virtual image can only be seen through the lens and cannot be projected onto a screen.