Why Can't I Solve These Seemingly Simple Math Problems?

• Thread starter Frustrated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the thread discusses several simple problems that the person is having trouble solving. They are seeking help and provide the numerical answers for each problem. The problems include finding the minimum length of a wire cut into equal parts, counting the number of trees on a street, calculating the probability of a certain coin toss outcome, and solving an equation for a given range. The thread also includes hints for solving the problems.
Frustrated
simple problems that I can't figure out! HELP!

Hello, first of all, thanks in advance for checking out my thread. below are a short list of some simple problems that should be easy to solve for those of you who frequent this forum. However, I can't seem to figure them out and it is really getting on my nerves. If you have any ideas, i would really appreciate your help. Included with the questions are the numerical answers. As such, I am solely interested in a brief explanation or the steps and formulas required for them. THANKS!

Q) A wire is cut into three equal parts. The resulting segments are then cut into 4,6, and 8 parts respectively. If each of the resulting segments has an integral length, what is the minimum length of the wire?

Q) Oak trees line both sides of a street for a length of (3/8) Km. If there is 16 meters of space between the trees and each tree is 1 meter wide, how many trees are there along the street?

Q) what is the probability of six tails out of nine tosses of a fair coin? (ANS = 21/128)

Q) solve 4 csc2 – 1 = 0 for all values 0 <  < 360. (ANS = {empty})

Q) If the area of an isosceles triangle is 20, then what is its hypotenuse? (ANS = 2x(10^1/2)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. hint: least common multiple

2. hint: account properly for the trees at the ends!

On the coin toss, if we have 6 tails in 9 tosses, we have an arrangement of tails and heads TTTTTTHHH that could line up in 9!/(6!3!) different ways. (Which is to say they are nine choices for the first place, 8 for the second, etc...but 6 of the choices and 3 of the choices are the same.) The probability of heads is the same as tails 1/2, so that the probability of this event is [tex]\frac{9!}{6!*3!*2^9}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Why Can't I Solve These Seemingly Simple Math Problems?

1. Why am I struggling with simple problems?

Struggling with simple problems can be frustrating and may make you question your abilities. However, it is important to remember that problem-solving skills take practice and patience. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is through practice. Start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use logical and critical thinking to analyze each part and come up with a solution. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out resources.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving simple problems?

One common mistake is overthinking the problem or trying to find a complex solution when a simpler one exists. Another mistake is not fully understanding the problem before attempting to solve it. It's important to take the time to read and analyze the problem carefully.

4. How can I stay calm when I can't figure out a simple problem?

Feeling frustrated and overwhelmed when stuck on a problem is normal. To stay calm, take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try talking to a friend or colleague about the problem, as explaining it to someone else may help you see it in a different light.

5. What resources can I use to help me solve simple problems?

There are many resources available to help with problem-solving, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and forums. You can also reach out to teachers, colleagues, or mentors for guidance and advice. Remember to use these resources as tools to guide you, rather than relying on them completely.