Why Can't I Understand Advanced Math in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 16-year-old student's interest in quantum and astrophysics, but struggles to understand the advanced math necessary for these subjects. The expert emphasizes that it is normal not to understand this math at the high school level and reassures the student that they will have plenty of opportunities to learn it in college. They also suggest considering studying mathematics in addition to physics. Finally, the expert advises the student not to worry and reminds them that university will start them off at a level they can understand and take them forward step by step.
Dayton Sigurdsson
To start off I am a 16 year old student with a passion for learning and understanding the universe I live in. I maintain a very high average in math and the sciences, and am at the top of almost all my classes, that being said I also attend the worst school in my district, and very very few students have any amount of academic interest whatsoever. Going back to the title of the post I spend most of my free-time reading about quantum, and astrophysics but the math is completely foreign to me. Despite constantly trying to teach myself through books and videos(and asking for help from teachers to no avail) I'm unable to comprehend any of this advanced math. Long story short: I'm not able to understand the math behind the physics, and am extremely anxious about entering post-secondary insight from anyone who's been in this position would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dayton Sigurdsson said:
Going back to the title of the post I spend most of my free-time reading about quantum, and astrophysics but the math is completely foreign to me.
The mathematics used in technical discussions of these subjects is well beyond what you normally learn in high school, or even beyond what junior physics students learn. That is no cause for fear, though, because if you decide to continue studying physics after high school, you will have plenty of opportunities to acquire this knowledge in a step-by-step fashion and potentially have fun while doing it. (Of course, if you want to learn it even better, you could consider switching to mathematics entirely. :smile:)

Also, some of the posts in this recent thread may be of your interest.

In addition, if you have specific questions, you could always try to formulate them in one of the appropriate forums on PF.

Likes symbolipoint
Dayton Sigurdsson said:
To start off I am a 16 year old student with a passion for learning and understanding the universe I live in. I maintain a very high average in math and the sciences, and am at the top of almost all my classes, that being said I also attend the worst school in my district, and very very few students have any amount of academic interest whatsoever. Going back to the title of the post I spend most of my free-time reading about quantum, and astrophysics but the math is completely foreign to me. Despite constantly trying to teach myself through books and videos(and asking for help from teachers to no avail) I'm unable to comprehend any of this advanced math. Long story short: I'm not able to understand the math behind the physics, and am extremely anxious about entering post-secondary insight from anyone who's been in this position would be very helpful.

You are not supposed to understand the math in those topics at your level of education. I am not sure why this scares you. In fact, when you go to college, it will be at least a couple of years before you learn about the mathematics needed to do those subjects.

In college, the school and your advisor will indicated mathematics classes that you will need. You take those classes, and you learn the mathematics, and from there, you springboard to other mathematics that you may not have time to take, but you will be equipped to learn on your own.

There are no shortcuts, and you don't just jump from being a 16-year old high school student to knowing the mathematics to do quantum mechanics.

Zz.

Likes TJGilb and symbolipoint
I don't know what your current mathematical education is like, but in my experience university is very good at starting you off at a level you can understand and taking you forward step by step. You'll have taken everything through multivariable/vector calculus and differential equations (a full good 2 years of math) before you'll be ready to tackle topics like quantum, E+M, astro, etc. You're still young, try not to worry too much.

Related to Why Can't I Understand Advanced Math in Physics?

1. Why do some people feel terrified of advanced math?

There could be several reasons for this. Some people may have had negative experiences with math in the past, making them feel anxious or afraid of it. Others may struggle with abstract concepts or have a learning style that doesn't align with traditional math teaching methods.

2. How can I overcome my fear of advanced math?

The best way to overcome your fear of math is to face it head on. Start by identifying your specific areas of weakness and then work on improving those skills. You can also try finding a tutor or studying in a group setting to receive additional support and guidance.

3. Is being afraid of advanced math normal?

Many people experience some level of anxiety or fear when it comes to math, so it is normal to some extent. However, if this fear is interfering with your ability to learn and succeed, it may be beneficial to seek help from a teacher or tutor.

4. How can I improve my math skills if I am terrified of it?

One way to improve your math skills is to practice regularly. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more advanced concepts. You can also try using online resources or finding a study group to help you feel more confident and comfortable with math.

5. Can I still be successful in a scientific field if I am terrified of advanced math?

Yes, absolutely! While math is an important aspect of many scientific fields, it is not the only skill needed for success. There are many other skills and qualities that can contribute to success, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity. Additionally, there are resources and support available to help you improve your math skills if needed.