Why can't the acceleration of a wedge be found by simply....

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a smooth wedge on a smooth plane and finding the acceleration of the wedge. The questioner initially thought it was a straightforward application of F=ma for the wedge, but the answer was obtained by applying the formula for the particle parallel to the wedge and for the whole system horizontally. The other person asks why the answer couldn't be obtained by just applying F=ma for the wedge and suggests using the homework template for better assistance.
AStudentNeedsHelp
mentor note: thread moved to h/w forum so template is missing

Hi, I have recently been learning relative acceleration and I have a bit of trouble with basics;

In a problem with a smooth wedge on a smooth plane, a mass is gently placed on the wedge and I've been asked to find the acceleration of the wedge.
Seemed pretty straightforward, just apply F=ma for the wedge?
NO
The answer was obtained by applying F=ma for the particle parallel to the wedge and for the whole system horizontally.
Why couldn't I get the answer by just applying F=ma for the wedge?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the question ask for the relative horizontal acceleration? The wedge moves one way, and the body moves the other way.

AStudentNeedsHelp said:
mentor note: thread moved to h/w forum so template is missing

Hi, I have recently been learning relative acceleration and I have a bit of trouble with basics;

In a problem with a smooth wedge on a smooth plane, a mass is gently placed on the wedge and I've been asked to find the acceleration of the wedge.
Seemed pretty straightforward, just apply F=ma for the wedge?
NO
The answer was obtained by applying F=ma for the particle parallel to the wedge and for the whole system horizontally.
Why couldn't I get the answer by just applying F=ma for the wedge?
How do you propose finding the net force acting on the wedge ?

You should probably use the homework template as per the guidelines. I'm not sure you've given enough information about the problem for anyone to be able to help you.

Related to Why can't the acceleration of a wedge be found by simply....

1. Why can't the acceleration of a wedge be found by simply dividing the applied force by the mass?

The acceleration of an object is not solely determined by the magnitude of the applied force and the mass of the object. In the case of a wedge, the acceleration is also affected by the angle and shape of the wedge, as well as the coefficient of friction between the wedge and the surface it is on. These factors must be taken into account to accurately calculate the acceleration of a wedge.

2. Can't the acceleration of a wedge be determined by using Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on the object divided by its mass. While this equation can be used to calculate the acceleration of a wedge, it requires knowledge of the net force, which can be difficult to determine in some cases. It is often more practical to use other methods, such as resolving forces and moments, to calculate the acceleration of a wedge.

3. Is it possible to find the acceleration of a wedge without knowing the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a crucial factor in determining the acceleration of a wedge. It represents the amount of resistance between the wedge and the surface it is on, and can greatly affect the acceleration of the wedge. Therefore, it is not possible to accurately calculate the acceleration of a wedge without knowing the coefficient of friction.

4. Why is the acceleration of a wedge important to know?

The acceleration of a wedge is important in understanding the motion and stability of the wedge. It can also be used to determine the forces acting on the wedge and how it will move in response to these forces. This information is useful in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics.

5. How can the acceleration of a wedge be calculated?

The acceleration of a wedge can be calculated using various methods, such as resolving forces and moments, using Newton's Second Law, or using equations specific to the geometry of the wedge. It is important to carefully consider all relevant factors, such as the applied force, mass, angle and shape of the wedge, and coefficient of friction, to accurately calculate the acceleration of a wedge.