Why Can't the Resultant Force Be 0.5N When Two Forces Act on an Object?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics question regarding resultant forces and the correct answer of 0.5N. The participants discuss the use of Pythagoras' theorem, the direction of the forces, and the validity of answers on Yahoo Answers. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the realization that the minimum value occurs when the two forces are parallel and in opposite directions.
monkeysay
Hello everyone. :)

I encountered this question during my revision and can't remember how I got it correct.

"A force of 3.0N and a force of 4.0N act on an object at the same time. Which of the forces cannot be the resultant force on the object?"

There are 4 options (0.5N, 3.5N, 4.0N, 5.0N)

I chose 4.0N but the correct answer is 0.5N.

Can someone explain why my answer is wrong and why 0.5N is correct? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
By resultant force you mean net force, right?

In that case, think of forces as vectors. Draw it out, pretend like the forces act on a box. Then think of triangles. If you know 2 sides of a triangle, what length can the other side be? What inequalities apply to the length of the unknown side of the triangle?

do the forces act on the object horizontally or vertically or one of each? if its one of each you could construct a right angled triangle and use pythagoras' a^2 + b^2 = c^2

Hello John, thanks for the reply.

I still don't understand why 0.5N cannot be a possible net force. Can't the resultant arrow be small if you have the opposite angle small as well?

I don't understand how the other force of 3.0N can act to achieve 4.0N only. Where would it act upon?I hope you won't find it too hard to explain, I am pretty bad at physics I admit. Thanks again!

Hello Rory, for the question the forces can act anywhere.

Thus I don't think Pythagoras theorem can be used since the vectors need not form a right angle.

oh right, hmmm in that case I am not totally sure.sorry for the lack of help!

Hint: For the two forces to add up to the maximum value, how would they have to point with respect to each other? What about to get the minimum value? (Once you have max and min, the actual value can be anything in between, depending on the angle between the vectors.)

I wouldn't trust Yahoo Answers. I have seen a lot of satirical and nonsensical answers get voted as the "Best".

Well I take answers there with a pinch of salt. Some of them frequent there to tout their products or give nonsensical and irresponsible comments.

But if you look at the discussion I linked to, I thought the replies I got were pretty decent.

And if you think there are no best answers, as an answerer, you have the choice to select No Best Answer.But this isn't really the place to discuss the validity of Yahoo Answers is it? =p

Related to Why Can't the Resultant Force Be 0.5N When Two Forces Act on an Object?

1. What is a resultant force on an object?

A resultant force on an object is the combined effect of all forces acting on the object. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each force, and represents the net force acting on the object.

2. How is resultant force calculated?

To calculate the resultant force on an object, you must first determine the individual forces acting on the object. Then, you can use vector addition to find the sum of all forces, taking into account their direction and magnitude. The resulting vector is the resultant force.

3. What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced resultant force?

A balanced resultant force has a net force of zero, meaning that all forces acting on the object cancel each other out. An unbalanced resultant force has a non-zero net force, meaning that the forces are not balanced and the object will experience acceleration in the direction of the resultant force.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the resultant force?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the resultant force. However, it does affect the acceleration of the object when subjected to a resultant force. A larger mass will experience less acceleration than a smaller mass when subjected to the same resultant force.

5. What are some real-life examples of resultant force?

Resultant force can be seen in many real-life scenarios, such as a car moving along a curved path, a rocket launching into space, or a ball being thrown into the air. It can also be seen in the movement of fluids, such as water flowing through a pipe or air pushing against a plane's wings.

Back