Why Can't We Choose an Electron's Spin?

• B
  • Thread starter BenAS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether or not we can choose the spin of an electron in a superposition state, and why this may not be possible. It is suggested to research the concept of quantum measurement and the role of the observer. Additionally, there is a mention of the Free Will Theorem as a potential explanation.
BenAS
This I'd guess is a simple question for this forum. I'm just a middle age dude who never went to school and have taken an interest in physics, just trying learn how it works.

The question is, suppose you have an electron with a spin in a superposition of both up spin and down spin. It is my understanding that you are 'not allowed' to choose which spin the electron ends up with. You can only have the electron interact with something at which time 'it' chooses which spin it gets somehow. Why can't we choose?

Maybe just direct me to some material on the subject.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
BenAS said:
This I'd guess is a simple question for this forum. I'm just a middle age dude who never went to school and have taken an interest in physics, just trying learn how it works.

The question is, suppose you have an electron with a spin in a superposition of both up spin and down spin. It is my understanding that you are 'not allowed' to choose which spin the electron ends up with. You can only have the electron interact with something at which time 'it' chooses which spin it gets somehow. Why can't we choose?

Thanks
You can choose to find the spin in the horizontal direction with the Stern/Gerlach apparatus arranged properly. But you are correct that you can't choose to make it up or down with a measurement.
Fish around on line about quantum measurement.

BenAS said:
Why can't we choose?
Is there any reason why we should expect to have a choice?

rootone said:
Is there any reason why we should expect to have a choice?
There is if one selects a measurement operator with an eigenstate which equals the state to be measured.

Behaviour of quantum objects is essentially statistical though.
If the observer could choose the desired observation then the whole of QM theory crashes and burns.
We would need to replace it with a theory of how minds affect matter.
That would be very unpopular with a lot of people.

It's going to be 90 degrees out today. Why can't I choose to make it 70 instead?

Likes DrewD and bhobba
Vanadium 50 said:
It's going to be 90 degrees out today. Why can't I choose to make it 70 instead?

Actually, I did. A short trip to San Diego did the trick. Although it is a bit overcast.

:smile:

Likes Demystifier and DrewD
To be quite honest, this answer is also possible: we can't choose because we are not the main players of the quantum game. Some Main Players might well be choosing the outcome, somehow maintaining the Born rule as a rule of the Game, in order to hide themselves.

AlexCaledin said:
To be quite honest, this answer is also possible: we can't choose because we are not the main players of the quantum game. Some Main Players might well be choosing the outcome, somehow maintaining the Born rule as a rule of the Game, in order to hide themselves.

Perhaps they are magical leprechauns. :smile:

A similar thing is often said about Bell's Theorem - that there are pre-existing conditions that make Bell's Theorem appear to be violated - when it really isn't. The same, of course, could be said about ANY physical evidence we obtain. I.e. that it is somehow tainted and not representative of what really occurs.

BenAS said:

Thanks
There you go . http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/r...AQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNE7L-k87yWE32ru0rDjkLOdg12LRQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will_theorem

Related to Why Can't We Choose an Electron's Spin?

1. Why can't we choose an electron's spin?

We can't choose an electron's spin because it is an intrinsic property of the electron. This means that the spin of an electron is a fundamental characteristic that cannot be changed or controlled.

2. Can we manipulate an electron's spin?

Yes, we can manipulate an electron's spin through various methods such as applying a magnetic field or interacting with other particles. However, we cannot directly choose the spin value of an individual electron.

3. How does an electron's spin affect its behavior?

An electron's spin affects its behavior in many ways, such as determining its magnetic properties and its ability to interact with other particles. It also plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics and the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. Is the spin of an electron always the same?

No, the spin of an electron can vary depending on its energy level and its interaction with other particles. However, the spin value of an individual electron remains constant and cannot be changed by an external force.

5. Can we measure an electron's spin accurately?

Yes, we can measure an electron's spin accurately using various techniques such as electron spin resonance or Stern-Gerlach experiments. These methods allow us to observe the effects of an electron's spin and determine its value indirectly.