Why can't we define an eigenvalue of a matrix as any scalar value?

In summary, the reason why we cannot say λ=1 and then 1 would be the eigenvalue of the matrix is because the column vector must be the same on both sides of the equation for it to be an eigenvalue/eigenvector pair. In the given example, the column vector on the right is not equal to the constant on the left, making 1 not a valid eigenvalue.
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682737134968.png

Dose anybody please know why we cannot say ##\lambda = 1## and then ##1## would be the eigenvalue of the matrix?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The result of the multiplication is ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}##, not ##\begin{bmatrix} \lambda \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##, so it doesn't matter what the value of ##\lambda## is.

Likes member 731016
ChiralSuperfields said:
Dose anybody please know why we cannot say λ=1 and then 1 would be the eigenvalue of the matrix?
"Dose" -- an amount of medicine.
"Does" -- third person singular conjugation of the infinitive verb "to do."

An eigenvalue ##\lambda## is a number such that for an eigenvector x, ##A\mathbf x = \lambda \mathbf x##.

For the matrix you asked about ##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix} \ne \lambda \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## for any value of ##\lambda##.

Likes member 731016
Thank you for your replies @FactChecker and @Mark44!

Sorry I still don't I understand. I'll try to explain what my understanding is so that any misconception can be exposed. ##\lambda## is the constant in front that is factor out of the column vector ##\vec x## which is called the eigenvalue. For examples 1 and 2 below, the constant multiplied to the column vector is ##\lambda = 7 , -4## respectively.
1682746269493.png

However, for this example,

##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##, why can't we factor out a 1 from the column vector to get ##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = 1 \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##.

According to the textbook, ##\lambda## can be any real number, so why can't ##1## be an eigenvalue?

Many thanks!

Mark44 said:
An eigenvalue ##\lambda## is a number such that for an eigenvector x, ##A\mathbf x = \lambda \mathbf x##.
You didn't read what I wrote in my previous post carefully enough. An eigenvalue is closely associated with a specific eigenvector. In the equation above, x is an eigenvector that appears on both sides of the equation. For an eigenvalue/eigenvector pair, multiplication of the vector by the matrix produces a value that is a scalar multiple (i.e., the eigenvalue) of that same vector.
ChiralSuperfields said:
However, for this example,
##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##, why can't we factor out a 1 from the column vector to get ##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = 1 \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##.
Because ##\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## isn't the vector that appears on both sides of the equation.

Likes member 731016
Mark44 said:
You didn't read what I wrote in my previous post carefully enough. An eigenvalue is closely associated with a specific eigenvector. In the equation above, x is an eigenvector that appears on both sides of the equation. For an eigenvalue/eigenvector pair, multiplication of the vector by the matrix produces a value that is a scalar multiple (i.e., the eigenvalue) of that same vector.

Because ##\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## isn't the vector that appears on both sides of the equation.
Oh, thank you @Mark44! I see now. Sorry I forgot that the column vector has to be on both sides.

Related to Why can't we define an eigenvalue of a matrix as any scalar value?

1. What is an eigenvalue of a matrix?

An eigenvalue of a matrix is a scalar value λ such that there exists a non-zero vector v (called an eigenvector) where the matrix A, when multiplied by v, equals λ times v. In mathematical terms, this is expressed as Av = λv.

2. Why can't any scalar value be an eigenvalue of a matrix?

Not every scalar value can be an eigenvalue of a matrix because eigenvalues are specific to the matrix's properties. They are determined by solving the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and I is the identity matrix. Only the values of λ that satisfy this equation are considered eigenvalues.

3. What does the characteristic equation represent?

The characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0 represents a polynomial equation derived from the matrix A. The roots of this polynomial are the eigenvalues of the matrix. This equation ensures that the eigenvalue λ satisfies the condition Av = λv for some non-zero vector v.

4. Can a matrix have multiple eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues. The number of eigenvalues a matrix has (counting multiplicities) is equal to the dimension of the matrix (i.e., the number of rows or columns). These eigenvalues can be real or complex numbers.

5. What happens if a scalar value does not satisfy the characteristic equation?

If a scalar value does not satisfy the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, it means that there is no non-zero vector v such that Av = λv for that scalar value. Therefore, it cannot be considered an eigenvalue of the matrix A.