Why centrifuges on Earth and in space would be the same?

In summary, the conversation on the Physics Forum thread about centrifuges discussed the relationship between gravity and the functioning of a centrifuge. It was determined that there is no difference between centrifuges on Earth and in space because the centrifuge creates an artificial gravity field. The direction of this field can be adjusted using tilted containers or hinges on test tubes.
Cyber
In this forum I read a thread about centrifuge and learned that, ''There is no difference between centrifuges on Earth and centrifuges in space because gravity is in no way related to how a centrifuge works''

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-do-centrifuges-work.148518/

But my question is if gravity isn't related here then what IS? I mean bouyancy force is active only in gravitational field, If I drop a rock in water it won't go down without gravity. Would it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It depends on what you mean by "related to". If you go to the centrifuge rest frame, i.e., a rotating frame, there will be an inertial force (the centrifugal force) that works just like gravity does - a force proportional to the mass of an object.

Cyber said:
But my question is if gravity isn't related here...
The Earth's gravity isn't needed, because the centrifuge creates a centrifugal force field (artificial gravity).

Hmm...I see, so the thing is, centrifuge creates artificial gravity so no need of Earth's gravity.
But then there is another question that why centrifugal force field would create downward gravity not side-ward gravity?

Cyber said:
Hmm...I see, so the thing is, centrifuge creates artificial gravity so no need of Earth's gravity.
But then there is another question that why centrifugal force field would create downward gravity not side-ward gravity?
Who said it would ? "downward" and "sideward" are relative. Draw what you mean.

Cyber said:
This is a contradiction in terms. "Downward" by definition is the direction in which the grvitational field is pointing.

Likes russ_watters
If I take a glass of water and pour in some dirt and shake it up, let it settle, Then,

If Downward gravity (vertically downward force) applied after hour or day the dirt will settle in bottom.

If Sideward gravity (horizontally centrifugal-sideward force) applied after hour or day the dirt will settle at centrifugal-side.

So, my question was why centrifuge will settle dirt in bottom shouldn't it settle at centrifugal-side?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyber said:
If I take a glass of water and pour in some dirt and shake it up, let it settle, Then,

If Downward gravity (vertically downward force) applied after hour or day the dirt will settle in bottom.

If Sideward gravity (horizontally centrifugal-sideward force) applied after hour or day the dirt will settle at centrifugal-side.

So, my question was why centrifuge will settle dirt it bottom shouldn't it settle at centrifugal-side?
You are artificially imposing that there is a universal direction of gravity which you define as "down". The centrifuge will settle dense substances in the direction of the centrifugal force combined with whatever external gravitational field exists. Industrial centrifuges used in applications usually allow containers to tilt (or fix containers in a tilted position) in order to counter the fact that the "down" direction changes.

Likes russ_watters
Cyber said:
So, my question was why centrifuge will settle dirt in bottom shouldn't it settle at centrifugal-side?

The test tube holders in centrifuges are hinged or angled so the bottoms of the tubes point outwards.

http://footage.framepool.com/shotimg/qf/443389605-blood-test-centrifuge-biochemistry-biotechnology.jpg

Related to Why centrifuges on Earth and in space would be the same?

1. Why are centrifuges used on both Earth and in space?

Centrifuges are used in both Earth and space environments for the same purpose: to separate materials of different densities. This is achieved by spinning the materials at high speeds, causing the denser materials to move towards the outside while the less dense materials remain closer to the center.

2. How do centrifuges work in space without gravity?

In space, centrifuges are designed to simulate gravity by using centrifugal force. This force is created by the spinning motion of the centrifuge, which acts as a pseudo-gravity. The denser materials will still move towards the outside of the centrifuge, creating the desired separation.

3. Are there any differences between centrifuges used on Earth and in space?

In terms of function, there are no major differences between centrifuges used on Earth and in space. However, centrifuges used in space must be specially designed to withstand the unique conditions of space, such as microgravity and extreme temperatures.

4. What types of materials can be separated using centrifuges?

Centrifuges can be used to separate a wide range of materials, including liquids, gases, and solids. They are commonly used in industries such as medicine, chemistry, and food processing to separate components such as blood cells, DNA, and oil.

5. How do scientists determine the appropriate speed and duration for centrifugation?

The appropriate speed and duration for centrifugation depends on the properties of the materials being separated. Scientists use factors such as density, size, and viscosity to calculate the optimal conditions for separation. This can be achieved through trial and error or by using mathematical equations based on the properties of the materials.